Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I changed the injector cups to the riff raff stainless steel cups. After I was done it took a bit to get it to start. Once started it sounds fine. Everything idles and seemed good. Second time I started it took like three tries to start. It had to build oil pressure and then it would start. I idled again for a bit and looked around and found it was leaking oil I believe from the hot side of the turbo? Where the two up pipes from the manifold go to. The oil is coming out in the back on and dripping down the passenger and driverside up pipes. I am assuming it is something to do with the cups or injectors because that's what was messed with. I'm going to check the injectors. Is there any checks I should do while I'm in there or what should I be looking for? Injector seating? Injector o-rings? Anything ealse? And i am assuming the oil is going into the headers and up to the turbo back side and coming out... if it is the injector seating or o ring would that be the case or would the oil come from a different direction?

First diesel and I seem to be running into every problem possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you remove the turbo to do the injectors? Sounds like the turbo pedestal might be leaking either through the O-rings that connect it to the block or the EBPV valve/piston assembly. Can't imagine where else on the back of the engine where you could get a leak that hits both up pipes

·
Project Shamu
2,718 Posts
If you pulled the cups, oil might have fallen into the cylinder, which eventually moved it's way out the exhaust and is leaking out the up pipes.

I wouldnt worry, but I would be looking to why your up pipes are leaking.

It's also going to hard start for a while until you work all the air out of the HPO system. Could take up to 100 miles. Totally normal

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I have been reading about the 100 mile thing so I'll be driving it around and keep checking it. When I did the injector cups I did not take the turbo off. I do know that I may have not gotten all the oil out of the head? I turned the engine by hand but I had it in gear and sprayed down my engine bay with oil so I stopped. So there was probably some oil still in the head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you remove the injector fuel and oil drain from the gallery into the Pistons. If you don't suck it out then when you hand turn the motor over it ends up being in the exhaust manifold. When you start the engine it goes through the exhaust and leaks out at every poor seal. I have seen it come out between the exhaust side and center section of the turbo as well as the up pipes. You will also see a lot of smoke when you first drive the truck until you burn all the oil out of the exhaust system. 20 miles at higher rpm will clear it up and fix hard start

·
Registered
11 Posts
I made the same mistake the first time I did a set of injectors. It should burn off, just make sure you’re not losing any oil that you put back in after doing your injectors and that will illuminate the possibility of a leak

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So to come back full circle yes it was just what leaked out. The hard start is gone and there is no more leaking up pipes. It's all cleared up now. Thank you for all the advice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so an unfortunate update. My leak is still coming. It's been like 300 miles and oil is running through the up pipe and out the exhaust. There is 2 holes in different places in my exhaust pipe both before it turns up at the rear axle. So it doesnt make it out the tip but drips out of the 2 exhaust holes. It's also pushing out where the 2 up pipes connect. So it appears its traveling through the manifold up the up pipe and then through the exhaust.

If this is the case and I'm sure it is. Where would it becoming from. This came as far as I know after I changed the injector cups. Would this be happening if maybe 1 or 2 injectors were not seated all the way down? I'm not sure where to start. I am also assuming that after 300 miles that any oil that was left in the heads would be gone by now. Any help is appreciated.

·
Project Shamu
2,718 Posts
Could be injector o rings, or it could be a seal in the turbo is leaking oil into the exhaust housing.

You can check if the injectors are seated by putting a straight edge across the solenoids of each bank, it will tell you if they're all there same height

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks LtDan. I pulled them all is good seated well. I guess I'll pull the turbo.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks LtDan. I pulled them all is good seated well. I guess I'll pull the turbo.
You can just pull the pipes from the turbo to check. If there is a lot of oil in there, you could bypass the crankcase breather, clean up the pipes, then take it for a spin. That should tell you if you are getting oil in the intake side from a leaking turbo. It'll save you the time and effort of needlessly pulling the turbo if it is not the culprit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. So I had the intake off already and where the ccv hooks in there is residuals oil but it's not anywhere down the pipe towards the turbo intake side or on the turbo. I can pull the down pipe and look on that side but I'm certain that it is covered inside since it's coming out the exhaust.

·
Project Shamu
2,718 Posts
Yeah the intake side isn't going to help you if it's leaking into the exhaust side...

Rebuilding the turbo is not a hard thing to do either, and if it's got any kind of miles on it, it probably needs to be done anyways.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah the intake side isn't going to help you if it's leaking into the exhaust side...

Rebuilding the turbo is not a hard thing to do either, and if it's got any kind of miles on it, it probably needs to be done anyways.
No idea why that did not even cross my mind... doh... I blame it on the isolation

1 - 15 of 15 Posts