Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gasket's in my oil cooler are shot.. how much would be fair to have a shop re seal it and who should i take it to around houston?

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
The gasket's in my oil cooler are shot.. how much would be fair to have a shop re seal it and who should i take it to around houston?
take it to david at diesel innovations, he will fix you up no problem, just drop by his shop

·
Rented Mule
95 Posts
It would be a heck of alot cheaper to DIY, heres the gaskets and o-rings, great price and its not to bad of a job from what I hear. Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines
Its easy to do, just real messy. you are going to loose a lot of antifreeze and spill some oil. I did mine after a flushing my cooling system with 30 gallons of distilled water. I left the water in the block, changed out the oil cooler then refilled with coolant. It would be a good time to do a coolant flush if you are due for one. Lube the new gaskets and cooler heads with some assembly lube, line up the notch on le filter side head, place the other end on a bock of wood on the floor. Hold another block of wood on the top of the cooler head and tap it on with a decent size hammer until it seats. you have to give a pretty good whack. Turn it over and do the same on the other end. The front cooler head flange does not have a notch to line the head with the cooler body but you will be able to turn it after is on to get it to line up with the block.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
I just did mine last weekend because my bypass was missing, the longest part of t he job was draining the fluids. 3 10mm bolts on the rear, two 10mm bolts up front. 18ft# torque. You have to twist it around a little to get it out, went in easy. 2 big o-rings, 2 smaller o-rings and two gaskets. Total time includung beer break, 3 hours.

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
Here is the thread I used for instructions, Oil Cooler How To...since it's that time of year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts