Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Oil Cooler O-ring replacement R and R

46K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  u2slow 
#1 ·
I've been doing quite a few oil cooler reseals lately due to the cold weather and decided since I've ran across a few threads on them, I decided to do a write up on how to. I did this one this morning in about 45 minutes. E99 F-450 2wd.

First, drain the coolant from the driver's side of the block by removing the block heater element.

Here's the removed oil cooler all covered with nasty, baked-on grease.
3 bolts above the oil filter and 2 bolts into the front cover.

Next, I use a rubber dead blow mallet to remove the end caps. They usually fall right off since the seals are hard and brittle.

Here is the oil cooler after cleaning. I usually don't try to clean out the core passages since the oil side is full of fins that can collect dirt and grease....then end up in the engine lubrication system. Just clean the exterior of the core to reduce the chance of damage. The center of the core contains the coolant passages.

I use trans-gel or vasoline to lubricate the o-rings for reassembly. Here is some white grease to show in detail where I lubricate. Don't forget to lubricate the inner chamfer for the coolant o-ring.

Here is how I press the end caps back on the core. The core will eventually slide into the end caps. No laughing at my bald spot or gray hairs.
Also note the locating tab on the rear end cap.

Good luck with the installation of your completed oil cooler reseal. Don't forget to remove the old gaskets and clean the block mating surfaces before torquing the attachment bolts to 18 ft.lbs.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Oil Cooler How To...since it's that time of year.

Nice write up with pictures.

Moderators might want to put this as a sticky.
Unless there is already one there.

#6 ·

i just noticed an oil leak on the drivers side of my motor today and its been in the - f temps here for the last couple of days. Where is a good place to get the gaskets and o rings from?

#9 ·

Bookmarked :D

Good write up, thanks !

#10 ·

Might want to mention that if you use a longer bolts in the front (if you get bolts mixed up or loose the bolts you took out) you will bust the casting and the front cover will be junk.
I had a truck that came into the shop that this was done to and had to pull the motor and fix it.
This was a reman motor, they paid the whole ticket.

#11 ·

Thanks for the good artical..

#12 ·

Thanks for the good artical Cody.

#14 ·

Good work. thanks. just what I was looking for.

#15 ·

Any rough estimate of what those orings cost at ford?

#16 ·

To the average Joe,

(2) Blue O-rings $9.04
(2) Green O-rings $22.24
Front cooler adapter gasket $16.17
Rear cooler adapter gasket $24.83

Total parts (not including the oil change and 5 gallons of 50/50 coolant) is almost $75.

#18 ·

This really needs to be in the Library.

#20 ·

I just did this to my engine that I am putting in my truck and the only problem I had was I did not weigh enough to push the oil cooler together. I rigged up a lever and used the bench to pry it on. I did not have a clamp big enough or I would have used that.

#21 ·

ok how do I tell if all I need is the o rings or a new cooler??? and I got a new cooler (because of course ford says I have to get one if thats my problem, so $384 later) I cant get the end pieces on the new oil cooler. can/should I use/try my old oil cooler??

#22 ·

???

#24 ·

I copied the first post over to the library for you.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.