Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not sure where this is best to go, but I'm getting curious on our oil cooler and modifying it to some extent.

My first thought was to tig weld/stitch on some 1/8" fins all the way around to try and act like a "heat sink" to some extent. Dunno how effective, but I'm sure it would help.

Now I'm thinking about removal of the factory cooler completely and plumbing in a air-to-oil cooler. Wouldn't be too hard, make a flange to bolt onto the front cover, weld on some AN fittings, plumb lines to the cooler, then lines back to another flange with AN fittings welded on, going into the oil filter housing.

Question is, will an air-to-oil cooler work as well or better than the stock oil cooler?

Let me know your guys' input.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,401 Posts
The factory design is about as good as you can get from the start. Water cooler will always be more efficient than air. I guess I should take my own advice then because I'm going to do an air cooler as well.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Native Californian
391 Posts
The factory design is about as good as you can get from the start. Water cooler will always be more efficient than air. I guess I should take my own advice then because I'm going to do an air cooler as well.

Yes, but you are doing a 6.0, correct? Different animal. Dan, the 7.3 oil cooler has been tried and true. People have tried to modify it to no avail. Still not willing to go to a cooler T-stat? That's really your best option.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,401 Posts
Yes, but you are doing a 6.0, correct? Different animal. Dan, the 7.3 oil cooler has been tried and true. People have tried to modify it to no avail. Still not willing to go to a cooler T-stat? That's really your best option.
Yea lol that's why I'm going that route.

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts

·
Native Californian
391 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
must be a forum u have to be logged into.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
Native Californian
391 Posts
Ok, I was able to open it. Two things:

1) Why do you guys insist on running a hotter T-stat, especially where we live? This would definitely solve your oil temps. There is absolutely zero gain from a hotter t-stat other than hotter heat out of your vents.

2) That's ALOT of work and extra leak points for a few degrees cooler oil when 245* oil temp isn't going to hurt anything.

I mean yeah, if ya like it, do it. Who the hell are we to say anything? But, since you shared, I guess I had some input. Nice work though. After owning 5 of these trucks and trying everything under the sun and fretting about it, I have come to the conclusion that many mods are over rated and a waste of time and money....and some will even cause you trouble down the road more so that the stock version would that we are always trying to re-engineer.

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
How did you open it.

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
ur link says its deleted.

It still works for me.

But then I am using a laptop and not a phone and "Taptalk"

I have noticed a few glitches going on here on the forum the last few days, perhaps that is the problem

·
CAT lover
602 Posts

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
That one works, but they all have worked for me. my link above is to the whole thread he posted.

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
That works for me I remember that build.

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I'm shying away from the Tstat being the problem is because the coolant isn't getting hot, its 200-210*, whereas the oil is 270*+ obviously the water-to-oil cooler isn't working good enough.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Have you pulled the oil cooler off and made sure that none of the passages are blocked?

The factory oil cooler should work quite well and if yours is not I would suspect the cooler itself. You really shouldn't have to go to something else.

As for other oil coolers, Volkswagon's have been using flow through oil coolers for years with great results. Even on a performance engine we just added a external oil cooler on the back of the doghouse where the fan would draw cool air through it and in extreme circumstances we would just add one or two fans to increase the air flow across the cooler.

·
Native Californian
391 Posts
The reason I'm shying away from the Tstat being the problem is because the coolant isn't getting hot, its 200-210*, whereas the oil is 270*+ obviously the water-to-oil cooler isn't working good enough.
270?! I thought you said 245 range. My bad. Yeah, I would suspect your cooler needs cleaned or replaced. My first one had bits of copper chunks blocking the cooling passages. Depending on how someone maintained it before you, that could very well be your issue. A lot of owners did not maintain these cooling systems like they should have been.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 67 Posts