Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I used to own a Cummins.
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone order Dorman seal kit for this? 47.99 vs 120 for all the parts from Ford. Any experience? Also does one have to change the oil before/after the oil cooler removal?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I would use ford or alliant. You do not have to charge it, just flush it out and flush your anti freeze as well.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Anyone order Dorman seal kit for this? 47.99 vs 120 for all the parts from Ford. Any experience? Also does one have to change the oil before/after the oil cooler removal?
Drain coolant before taking it off though. Dieselorings.com may have the kit as well. YUP, just looked, under $70.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I put in the Dorman kit from Advanced auto...I've used Ford parts and IH parts previously...I couldn't tell the difference in any of it....except price.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Drain coolant before taking it off though. Dieselorings.com may have the kit as well. YUP, just looked, under $70.
Get diesel orings kit, stay away from the bargain brands or you'll be kicking yourself later!

·
I used to own a Cummins.
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the parts from Ford. Had enough problems with Dorman products they are hard to trust anymore.

·
Registered
708 Posts
For future reference, Bob at dieselorings, offers all ford OEM parts, and significantly cheaper too. They've got fast shipping, and Bob surely is a stand up guy willing to help all he can.

Just a tip too, grab a buddy to help support one side of the oil cooler while you reinstall and get a bolt started, it'll make life much easier for you.

·
I used to own a Cummins.
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have bought from bob before. We have a jobber account with the ford dealer at the shop, so I don't pay retail...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just did this this past weekend. Was in a pinch and didn't have time to wait and the local advance had it and I got a discount. It really wasn't a horrible job just take your time. I changed the oil just cause it was near time. Coolant flush and new fuel filter too. Good to got for a while now. Good luck.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Fleabay look up 7.3 oil cooler and theres a dealer in conn. that sells the gaskets and o-rings as a kit for $70 bucks all in genuine ford packages. I just did mine 3 weeks ago. Drain the coolant really good (the drivers side block drain too) then take out the block heater element and the remaining coolant will come out. Take all the bolts out front and rear and pull the cooler free from the block fast and nothing mixes with each other. Actually I got a half cup coolant in the face and it was done didnt get any oil on me at all. Clean the block mating surfaces really good and wipe down with brake cleaner spray to remove any oil film then Reinstall the cooler (bolt torque 18 ft/lbs), button everything up and refill with the same coolant. I didnt even bother the oil as I saw the half a cup come down on me then stopped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts