Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I came up with as an alternative for the BPD kit. Now I am definitely not saying that the BPD kit is in any way junk or sub standard in any way and only time and towing will tell how my kit holds up. I was however able to make this kit for about $300 less than the BPD kit but at the expense of extra time fabricating and figuring. There were two reasons I went this route. One I didn't like how much the BPD kit cost and two I really wanted to have a bypass filter in addition to my full flow one. (I know that the BPD has one but I just liked how the Amsoil had it built in with the full flow one.) I actually used an oil filter relocation kit for a 7.3L (that is what Amsoil had it for) so I used the full flow filter recommended for that motor (it is an Eao26 filter and is roughly the same size as the 6.0 cartridge filter if not bigger) and I used an EaBP110 bypass filter. This is actually a revision of my original kit. Originally I had used a B&M transmission cooler instead of the fluidyne one I have now. It was about the same size but half as thick and ony had 1/2in lines feeding in. The Fluidyne one (which is the same brand of cooler as the BPD cooler) has 12AN (3/4in) ports on it and is massive. I also added a thermostat to the mix as it would take forever for my oil to heat up. The thermostat is a Canton racing thermostat that is all aluminum construction with stainless steel bolts, has 12an ports, and opens at 215F. All of the brackets are aluminum with stainless steel hardware (except the one that holds the filters which is steel because the aluminum flexes too much). I also used aluminum an fittings on the push lock hose. Now of course I did use the BPD oil manifold block. It is made of aluminum and is a piece of work. It is expensive but is the best way to delete the oil cooler in my opinion and has 12an ports as well. All of the lines are 12an. I tried to stick with aluminum and stainless steel to keep everything from rusting as what happened on my first kit and is what I would assume would happend with the BPD kit unless you painted everything. Like I said up top, I am not in anyway knocking the BPD kit as I think it is a very high quality kit. It just wasnt for me and I thought I could make something that better suited my needs and wanted to share my ideas with other DIYers/Fabricators out there. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
NSTY 6OH
207 Posts
nice work. looks great

·
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Looks great?? Are you kidding me?? It looks FANTASTIC!!!!

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Wow dam good job haha maybe you could start making some for us LOL

·
Registered
427 Posts
The oil cooler you used looks to be bigger than the one used by BPD? And I like your mounting position better.
With the thermostat opening at 215 what oil temps are you seeing when towing?

·
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the thermostat opening at 215 what oil temps are you seeing when towing?
Well as I havent had the kit on long at all yet, what I have seen from initial cruising at hwy speeds at say 70 mph or so is oil temps get up to 205-210F with ambient temp of 75F. Now keep in mind that this is still below the opening set point of the thermostat (215F) but it is with the thermostat sending just a portion (i.e. 10%) of the flow to the cooler to keep it warm while the oil heats up. According to fluidyne this cooler can remove 30000btu/hr with just 5mph of wind and it goes up to like 90000btu/hr when air speed gets like 40mph or so. My B&M cooler I had on before was only rated to like 28500Btu/hr, had a fan on it, was mounted on the frame rail, and in 85-90F heat would get the oil temp up in the 220s towing a 10-12K load. I presume that oil temps will probably be in the 220F neighborhood +/-5F. The basis for the oil thermostat opening at 215F is to get the oil hot enough to vaporize moisture from condensation in the oil. You dont get that very much when oil temps are in the 180-200F range IMO. Time will tell how well it works with towing. I dont tow very regularly but would love to test it out. Hope this helps.

·
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The oil cooler you used looks to be bigger than the one used by BPD? And I like your mounting position better.
I thought it was bigger as well. I couldnt ever figure out what size theirs was so I decided to go bigger just to be safe.

I mounted it with about an inch and a half away from the condenser to minimize heat transfer from the oil cooler to the condenser and the oil cooler definitely flows air through it very well. The air flow also helps cool the thermostat.

·
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well so far after three days and over 130 miles, so far everything seems to be working good. I dont have a trailer to tow but with temps today at about 80F and speeds in excess of 80 mph (mostly between 70 and 80 for over a ten mile stretch) oil temps still have never exceeded 209F and for the most part flucuate between 203F and 208F. A/C seems to be keeping my cab cool just fine. (I know its not the sweltering heat we were having this summer but I still have to use the A/C.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very nice and wow give your self a pat on the back for all that work! I just had a BPD kit installed and I can see some things after the fact I would like to have changed that you have on your kit.

·
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man. Well I am still doing some testing with this kit to make sure that it can handle the needs of the motor. Rest assured that while you may see some things on my kit you like (which I think is great by the way), the BPD kit is a very high quality kit and will last a long time and be fine for your truck. Now if you want a thermostat and a bypass filter (I'm not sure whether or not you have them or not), BPD has options for you to upgrade your system, which is what I would recommend. Either way I'm glad you like my kit and I will post more info regarding its capability. Just stay tuned.

·
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks man. I read the article about your truck and how you build your own stuff to survive way up there. Way cool!!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Your temps seem a bit high. Our kits keep the oil temps around 170 while towing heavy. The stock oil cooler on my dually keeps the oil temps below 200. So what was the point of all that work if your still running high oil temps. The whole point is to lower the temps so the oil don't break down as fast. Just quetions. Setup does look good by the way

·
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the point wasnt necessarily to run lower temps as much as it was to get rid of the possibility of having my oil cooler rupture and end up having my head gaskets go out on me. I will admit that when I undertook this endeavor about a year ago that I didnt hardly understand all the ins and outs of our trucks and still IMO probably have a ways to go but the theory behind running oil temps in the 200-210F range is that this way you know your oil getting warmed up properly each time you go drive your truck to ensure that any moisture from condensation that collected in the oil is vaporized and vented out. Because as we all know if oil doesnt get heated up properly it will turn into and build up sludge in the motor and I dont want that. With this setup I am seeing my oil temp come up twice as quick to operating temp as I did without the thermostat and just let the cooler do all of the temp control. I'm not sure if I said here or somewhere else but as of right now, I have yet to see my oil temps exceed 209F. Now while that is empty it is with OATs being 80F and me driving 70-85mph for over a stretch of 13 miles to work and I dont really expect it to go up much higher than that when towing. Maybe 220F at most. I say that because the cooler I put on has the capability to remove 3 time the amount of heat my last cooler did. So as I am using the system right now, I am not even approaching the limits of the cooler because the thermostat keeps sending the oil back to motor. It will take a larger load to see what will truely happen. I would really like to tow something to see how it goes but I dont have anything that I can tow right now. I usually only tow something like once or twice a year and usually it is when I move due to transfer. Hope this helps explain the basis behind my design.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Not at all. That's a lot of work and money to run higher oil temps than stock, the whoel point of of external coolers is to lower oil temps, also lower oil temps will maintain slightly higher icp

·
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well ok I guess to each their own and like I said, I will keep this thread updated with data as I get it. For me the point of going to the external oil cooler wasnt to run lower than stock oil temps (since I didnt even know what normal oil temp was for the stock cooler) it was to just get rid of a potential time bomb.

·
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I should add that I did want the cooler to be able to handle the heat requirements that the stock cooler could handle.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Does anyone know what the oil temps run with the BPD kit?
What is the opening temp on the thermostat that BPD uses?

If you read the specs on the Canton Thermostat they explain why it is set to open at 215, they don't even offer a lower temp stat.

www.cantonracingproducts.com - 22-480 - OIL COOLER THERMOSTAT

1 - 20 of 34 Posts