Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 F-250 7.3 ZF6 Stage 3 205cc Hybrid Injectors KC300x77mm Hydra tuner with jellibuilt tunes.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today was the day to change the oil cooler on the 6.0 get to cooler housing looks good i take it out and one of the housing risen threads just falls off. Not sure how all i can think it was torqued to tight at factory will this
Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

need to be replaced

·
Registered
2000 F-250 7.3 ZF6 Stage 3 205cc Hybrid Injectors KC300x77mm Hydra tuner with jellibuilt tunes.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i will send the actual picture of my housing thats just a random picture. My cousin said it was an easy job ignored all weekend calls last night at 9:40... Then tells me he has never done one on a motor in a truck with fluids wiring etc

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could always just do a heli-coil insert. Should be plenty of metal in that location. Or, if you don't think there's enough you could try filling it with Liquid JB weld, then drill and tap it for the stock size fastener. The worst you could do is mess it up to the point of needing to replace it, which is about where you're at now if you can't put any torque on that bolt....well, unless you want to have an oil leak.
Also theres still plenty of thread could cut bolt down its where it seats

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could always just do a heli-coil insert. Should be plenty of metal in that location. Or, if you don't think there's enough you could try filling it with Liquid JB weld, then drill and tap it for the stock size fastener. The worst you could do is mess it up to the point of needing to replace it, which is about where you're at now if you can't put any torque on that bolt....well, unless you want to have an oil leak.
Gas Auto part Machine Metal Automotive wheel system
so do you think a washer and cut the bol,t

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So are you talking about the stud which pokes up that looks stripped in your picture (red arrow in pic below) or the broken tab with the red circle around it.....the red circle area is where you originally indicated you had a problem.

View attachment 206669

If it's the stud then I agree, you could try rethreading it, but it's part of the heat exchanger and can't just be replaced. If you're talking about the red circle area, well that's an alignment boss to make sure the cover goes on properly. Here's what it should look like.

View attachment 206670

If you're only concerned about the circled area then you can either buy another oil cooler base cover or see if you can get things to seal properly without it. If you look at the below pic, circled in blue is where that would like up. There are no oil or water passages that it goes through. I think you could try putting it all back together and be ok in the short term. I would personally want it back to 100% as soon as I could afford to buy another upper cover, but I also think you could be fine for a long, long time.....as long as that is the only issue we're talking about here.

View attachment 206671
Thank for.the reply,. Yeah the gasket should do it its job and it still has plenty
of thread to bite. Could i put rubber grommet to fill
void?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So are you talking about the stud which pokes up that looks stripped in your picture (red arrow in pic below) or the broken tab with the red circle around it.....the red circle area is where you originally indicated you had a problem.

View attachment 206669

If it's the stud then I agree, you could try rethreading it, but it's part of the heat exchanger and can't just be replaced. If you're talking about the red circle area, well that's an alignment boss to make sure the cover goes on properly. Here's what it should look like.

View attachment 206670

If you're only concerned about the circled area then you can either buy another oil cooler base cover or see if you can get things to seal properly without it. If you look at the below pic, circled in blue is where that would like up. There are no oil or water passages that it goes through. I think you could try putting it all back together and be ok in the short term. I would personally want it back to 100% as soon as I could afford to buy another upper cover, but I also think you could be fine for a long, long time.....as long as that is the only issue we're talking about here.

View attachment 206671
And sorry its not the oil cooler threads its the housing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts