Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
almst time for my first oil change. dont know what is best live in south carolina and used rotella in the past. heres my question book recommends 5000 severe duty, 7500 normal use. question is can i double that if i go with synthetic oil and if so which brand, and also is synthetic better if it is only change 1/2 as often would regular oil not be better since it will be changed more often. and how often do i need to change fuel filters and are they DIY. thanks for any info guys::D

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
I use full synthetic AMSOIL which i have had good luck with,but i would recommend any full synthetic evan if its not AMSOIL.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use full synthetic AMSOIL which i have had good luck with,but i would recommend any full synthetic evan if its not AMSOIL.
how often you change it with full synthetic:D

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
Are you talking about a 7.3L Powerstroke or a 6.0L?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
05 6.0

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know many that are doing 10k miles on 6.0L PSD with Amsoil. Its a personal choice if you would like to get it at Wholesale shoot me a PM and I can let you know my PS Nation offer.

Dane

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
what about a 7.3 how many miles on a oil change

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
I would recommend no more than 5,000 mile oil change intervals on any oil in a 6.0L Powerstroke. The 6.0L will shear oil down to a 30 weight prior to 5,000 miles. Amsoil, Rotella, Valv Prem Blue, Schaeffer's included.

Here are a couple of UOA reports as examples:

Royal Purple 15W-40, CST viscosity at 100 deg Celcius for a 15W-40 is 12.5-16.29 - Blackstone didn't mention this sample dropping viscosity to a 30 weight by 3,000 miles

Rotella 15W-40

Valvoline Premium Blue 5W-40, Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
Here is one on Amsoil Also,

You can check the viscosity (CST or SUS) located at the bottom of the report and check the values on the comparitive viscosity chart "sticky" in this forum. Just take the viscosity values off of the UOA reports and find the appropriate column on the Comparative Viscosity Chart, i.e. CST Viscosity or SUS Viscosity. Then using a straight edge see what oil weight the value falls in.

Here is the link:

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1503

This Amsoil sample is center of mass of a 30 weight oil by 7,500 miles. I have seen a couple of UOA reports with 10,000 miles and the viscosity almost dropped to a 20 weight.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
how often you change it with full synthetic:D
Somewhere between 5,000 and 7,500 miles.Depending what the oil reads (analysis) and looks like.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so wher is the benefit of running the more expensive synthetic, just use regular oil and change at 5000. makes the most economical sense, ie more frequent changes equals cleaner oil in engine.

·
PA 6.0 PS
185 Posts
I also run the Amsoil 0W-40 Severe Duty.....was stretching it to 10k for first 4 oil changes, then all of a sudden had an injector go....from oil?...Not sure....but after being on this site and talking with my tech....not gonna stretch that far until I put an Amsoil Bypass system on.....taking it to 7500 max now....still well worth the extra money....picked up 2 mpg when I first put it in.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
so wher is the benefit of running the more expensive synthetic, just use regular oil and change at 5000. makes the most economical sense, ie more frequent changes equals cleaner oil in engine.
Well after rereading my post I should have explained things better. The issue is that the 6.0L runs high Injector Control Pressure (ICP). It can easily hit 3,500 psi and adding a chip/programmer can push it up to 4,000 psi. Over time the oil's viscosity will shear. What happens is the polymers in a multigrade oil (15W-40, 5W-40) will stretch/uncoil due to the high pressure & temps and over time will not return back to there original state, resulting in the viscosity drop. This condition is also seen in 7.3L's with some dual HPOP's and/or high ICP programs.

Now, different oils shear at different rates. For example a dino oil like Rotella 15W-40 will shear from a 40 weight oil to a 30 weight around 3,000 miles on average in this application. Some synthetics will shear at a slower rate but most will shear to a 30 weight by 5,000 miles.

So there is a benefit to using a more expensive synthetic. The trick is to find which one is working best for your application. IMO I would choose an oil then do a used oil analysis report like the ones shown above at 3,000 miles. They run from $11-$25 depending on the lab & quantity purchased. That way you can see yourself, in black & white, the oil properties in your 6.0L.

There are many UOA reports from 6.0L's posted on PSN in the fluids section. You can do a quick search and see what others have experienced to help you make your decision.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great write up and advice White Buffalo. There is no better way to see what your truck is doing based on your driving, climate, service conditions than doing a Used Oil Analysis. No guess work all on paper in black and white.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts