Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '97 F-350 from a friend who had it about a year. He got it from his BIL who bought it new. I've had it almost eight years.

They used Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W 30 from day one in the truck so I started doing the same. After a couple of years I switched to Wally's SuperTech full synthetic 10W 30 because it had all the same numbers, but was $25.00 cheaper per oil change. I've never towed anything with this truck.

I'm selling the truck and was going to change the oil today. When I went to wal-mart, SuperTech had changed their labeling. It now has a little badge on it that says "for gasoline engines".

What the heck is the difference? Did they take the anti foaming out of it or is it just marketing? I don't drive in temps over 90* for any extended time at all. The 10W 30 has been fine for 296k miles so far.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
They usually have the rotella or delo for about a dollar more..I thought the supertech had a 15/40 heavy duty version also

·
PSN local
161 Posts
The 10w30 will be fine if that is what you have been using no need to change now... the reason they say for gas motors is because 5 and 10w is the typical oils they use in automotive...I work on big rigs and our fleet uses Mobil 10w30 synthetic in our new kenworths

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
There is no Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic for diesels. If they were running any sort of 10w30 Mobil 1, they were running GASSER oil in the truck, and you need to get it out of there NOW.

·
FNM
150 Posts
There is no Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic for diesels. If they were running any sort of 10w30 Mobil 1, they were running GASSER oil in the truck, and you need to get it out of there NOW.
Yeah it really makes a difference after 296k miles...:poke:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/powers~1.htm

This is where I found the anti foaming designation letters. If you scroll down it shows syn. Mobil 1. When I changed to the other oil it had every single designation that the Mobil 1 had on the front of the container.

I have never towed anything with this truck myself. Since I am selling it and don't know how it will be used, I will simply change the oil out with a synthetic 15W 40 diesel oil.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Notice that for that section it says "along with an anti-foaming additive". Meaning you're supposed to add it. Notice also that the WallyTech oil is NOT listed in that section. Does the old WallyTech have any sort of "Cx" rating?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts