Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil in the 94 this afternoon.. Took me 3 hours! I started by poking a hole, in the bottom of the filter and let it drain. While it was draining, I decided to take the 4wd shifter assembly out for it's own lube job. The shifter assembly operation went quite well and I now have 4-lo...

When I finally got back to the oil change, I tried to remove the filter... The keyword being TRIED.. Either it was put on with an impact wrench, or had been on the truck for quite a while. I doubt it had been on there long, since the oil was fairly clean. Since I just got the truck, I wanted to change the oil ASAP...

I tried removing the oil filter with a strap wrench, but that only made the filter body collapse. I then tried an oil filter wrench that I bought at NAPA and ended up breaking it. Next up was a screw driver through the filter body, but that was also fruitless.

With the filter housing collapsed, I was able to grab it with a pair of channel locks.. That only allowed me to rip half the housing off of the base. My options seemed to be slipping away quickly. I figured it was time to improvise and fashion myself some kind of spanner wrench. I used a U-bolt that I had lying on the work bench. I bent it, enough to fit in the small holes in the filter (The ones you usually ONLY see, from the other side!) and tried it. It took a few tries, but the filter base finally started to budge. I had to keep adjusting my home made wrench, so it didn't go into the holes too far and hit something above it. Filter finally came off and got launched across the garage floor!

I'll post some pics, of what's left of the filter tomorrow.... I have NEVER had that much trouble getting an oil filter off!

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Note to self, loosen filter slightly and then poke the hole to ensure it will come off without losing all the oil first.
I had a buddy had the same issue on his 1985 5.0 mustang. Smaller filter but what a pain it was.

·
brandon
778 Posts
i noticed that when i used a wix instead of a motorcraft, the wix are much harder to bust loose. Had a similar experience with the first wix I used and the next one was almost as bad. I went back to a motorcraft and have not had anymore trouble

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I bought an oil filter wrench thats like a giant pair of channel locks with large sharp teeth. It works really good. Most parts stores have them I bought mine at HF. The handles are about 10" long so you can really get on it.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
i noticed that when i used a wix instead of a motorcraft, the wix are much harder to bust loose. Had a similar experience with the first wix I used and the next one was almost as bad. I went back to a motorcraft and have not had anymore trouble
Been using WIX for over twenty years now. Never had a problem with one I put on. Spin till contact, rotate another turn. Stop there.

I have had to chisel them off before though.

·
fueled by Colecovision
3,060 Posts
I lube the o-ring seal...hand tight with sandpaper doubled up as friction to grip the filter.

always comes right off with a half a sheet of sandpaper...and never leaks.

...maybe I'll start a diy oil change website, and sell sandpaper.

:hehe:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I lube the o-ring seal...hand tight with sandpaper doubled up as friction to grip the filter.

always comes right off with a half a sheet of sandpaper...and never leaks.

...maybe I'll start a diy oil change website, and sell sandpaper.

:hehe:
Make sure you pkg it in plastic so it's still good when I get it. my mail box leaks.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My neighbor had to chisel his off of his Dmax. The previous service was done at the dealer. Thats why as long as I'm physically able I'll do my own. The world is full of idiots.

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
Amen! First and ONLY oil change at the stealership, they left the oil pan drain plug hand tight. Only lost about a pint of oil, if I hadn't been laying on my back in the garage working on my motorcycle the same day I would have never noticed.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Note to self, loosen filter slightly and then poke the hole to ensure it will come off without losing all the oil first.
I had a buddy had the same issue on his 1985 5.0 mustang. Smaller filter but what a pain it was.
:whs: I also break them loose before punching the hole in the bottom of the filter.

I had one stick and then read about backing it off first. No problems since.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I have had to chisel them off before though.
I've chiseled off a few, I have family that asks why I change my own oil because I can get a coupon and get it done just as cheap. I had precision tune change my oil on a coupon and the next oil change I ended up chiseling the filter off while trying not to hit the mount- I called the shop up to bit$ch and they said I could bring it to them and they would fix it- but they wouldn't pay for a tow:mad:
And after you see a 16yr old kid using an impact to reinstall your drain plug you'll forget having someone else do it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amen! First and ONLY oil change at the stealership, they left the oil pan drain plug hand tight. Only lost about a pint of oil.
Yep.... forgot to mention the fact, that the drain plug was barely more than hand tight... Unbelievable!!!!!!!

:whs: I also break them loose before punching the hole in the bottom of the filter. I had one stick and then read about backing it off first. No problems since.
Great advice!! Thank you!

And after you see a 16yr old kid using an impact to reinstall your drain plug you'll forget having someone else do it.
Holy cow!!! When I was young and a bit more stupid than I am now, I took my new S-10 to Jiffy Lube... It was before a cross-country trip. By the time I got to California, I needed a new set of front tires, new tie rod ends and an alignment. I have no idea what they did, but the front end was trashed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are pics of what's left of the filter...

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Alot of folks don't realize you have to grab the filter at the base or at the end . If you grab the filter by the middle it will collapse.
I keep getting vehicles at the shop I am at that seem to have the drain plug torqued like it the head bolt of a caterpillar.

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
I just have a BIG filter wrench. I dont even bother poking a hole in the damn filter. I have zero problems...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That takes a lot of anger to make an oil filter look like that.

By the time I got to that point, I was very angry! That's why it got launched across the garage floor!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts