Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do an oil by pass with out the hefty price tag any suggestions

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The junkie is sayin if you want quality, buy a overpriced kit. (What can you expect? Junkies always want primo lol)
Joking aside, search around for DIY bypass setups. I've seen a few threads, just cant quite recall where.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I built my own. I used an Amsoil EaBP110 filter with an Amsoil BMK-21 filter base. The difficult part was figuring out where to put the filter and how to tap into a supply source. There's just not much room in that engine compartment. I wound up mounting it in front of the driver's side wheel well, up behind the bumper. Tight fit, but it worked. Your location is up to your imagination. Just remember to protect it from road debris and road salt, etc.

Next is the oil source. I chose to tap into the pressure test port on the front of the oil cooler. This was rather difficult and I don't think was the easiest/best choice. It may have been best for flow, but I think you could install a Tee into the oil pressure sensor port, put the sensor in one side and tap off the other side instead. If you do choose to use the pressure test port, I think it's a M10 1.5 pitch thread. It's been a few years, so don't quote me. What I did was I removed the fan and fan shroud for easy access to the front of the oil cooler, then I removed the test port QD fitting. I brought that fitting and the oil filter base to the local parts store and had them build me a hose with the appropriate fittings for each side. This was definitely overkill, since it's a 3,000 PSI hose, but since there's the possibility of around 80 PSI going to this filter, I didn't want to trust hose clamps and barbed fittings.

For the return side, I did trust the barbed fittings because it's not under any real pressure. I think I used 1/4" return line and I tapped into the oil filler tube. I removed the tube, drilled a hole, and tapped the hole for a 1/8" (I think) NPT to 1/4" barb elbow. I sealed it using black RTV. If you go this route, don't trust the factory o-ring at the bottom of the filler tube. With that much oil pouring past it constantly, it'll leak. I wound up using black RTV above and below it. If I had to do this again, and I had the time, I would remove the valve cover, drill a hole, and install a return fitting through the sheet metal.....using a lock-nut and the heavy duty loctite. lol

I think altogether this cost me about $150. I extend my oil changes out to 20,000 with oil analysis. Could probably go even further, but I change it when I do due to fuel dilution (lots of idle time in the winter). There are easier setups, but you pay a lot more for them. That's the trade-off....pay more so it will be easy to install. If you choose my route, hopefully my experience will make your install at least a little easier than mine was. Oh, also, you may want to consider filling the bypass filter before screwing it onto the mount. You don't have to, but you won't have to worry about running your oil level low due to filling it with crankcase oil either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I've searched a few didnt really give me much of a idea were to get the parts I like quality but also something like this can easily be made lol I'm just tryna see what filter based and fitting have worked well for others and wat size restriction they use stuff like that thanks for the insight fellas

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick question I've seen some video were they use a restrictor on the return line can you use the same restriction for each filter or do the change

·
Administrator
32,939 Posts
i have seen some threads on what parts to buy from Amsoil to build a decent kit for way less than their retail 6.o kits

i have the FS2500 and think it is an overhyped POS but at least i have the input and output fittings and lines i can use when i go with the amsoil

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at those and sinister was crazy seen some vids and what not can do for 100

·
Administrator
32,939 Posts
when your ad shows dirty oil in and honey gold out of the FS2500
well then when I change my oil , filter , bypass filter i expected the same
truth is it was never golden not even after an oil change

1 - 12 of 12 Posts