Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a warning for those out there with a 94-95 7.3, keep an eye of the oil bypass valve if you have the staked version. I’ve been watching mine and bought an updated replacement a few months ago. Last oil change the valve was still intact. Last night I finally got around to replacing my oil cooler orings and discovered the valve had come loose sometime since the last oil change 2,000 miles ago. Glad I had the new one ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
6,625 Posts
Just a warning for those out there with a 94-95 7.3, keep an eye of the oil bypass valve if you have the staked version. I’ve been watching mine and bought an updated replacement a few months ago. Last oil change the valve was still intact. Last night I finally got around to replacing my oil cooler orings and discovered the valve had come loose sometime since the last oil change 2,000 miles ago. Glad I had the new one ready to go.

I've seen that on the Super duty 7.3's also

Sent from my super awesome outdated Samsung phone while waiting for masakimms# 500mA overdraw draw to catch fire which turd will be blamed for and we will be sitting on dustybumpers tailgate watching the fire and plotting against yommy.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Nothing new there.
SD it "shouldn't" happen since it has the snapring, instead of being staked.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
6,625 Posts
I have seen several with the snap ring half out, but even more with the "stake" failure. There is always the option of restaking the bypass valve

Sent from my super awesome outdated Samsung phone while waiting for masakimms# 500mA overdraw draw to catch fire which turd will be blamed for and we will be sitting on dustybumpers tailgate watching the fire and plotting against yommy.

·
PSN intsigator
6,625 Posts
Atleast you were prepared for it

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yeah, I was only a few months into ownership on mine when it happened to me. I rebuilt the cooler, then it started running funny.
Popped the filter off and sure enough, it had came out sometime/somewhere. Shop up the street sold me the upgraded version for a crisp $20.
You would almost think they would have all fallen out by now. Lol

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I was only a few months into ownership on mine when it happened to me. I rebuilt the cooler, then it started running funny.
Popped the filter off and sure enough, it had came out sometime/somewhere. Shop up the street sold me the upgraded version for a crisp $20.
You would almost think they would have all fallen out by now. Lol

Yeah no kidding, mine ran over 280,000 before it came out assuming it’s the original.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am absolutely desparate to find a bypass valve (mine was staked in but is long gone) can you send me the contact info for the shop you purchased one from? Or any other sourcing information where I can buy one? [email protected] or 760-774-5046 many thanks!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I've never heard of anyone offering the valve parts separate. When I did mine back in 2001 or so, I had to get the header adapter (F81Z-6881-BA, the one with the snapring retained bypass and regulator valves). List is $543.22 and online price is around $268.90. It was only around $135 way back when! Cheers!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Diesel O Rings list it for $312 so a dealer may be cheaper.

I bought one years ago when a quick change oil shop cross threaded the nipple and have never installed it. But I know that sooner or later I'll need it and will keep it until I sell the truck or install it.

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
I had no idea about this potential failure, anyone got more info/pics on how it works? I dont think I've ever looked up into the filter housing, so I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
So on the filter adapter header, there are 2 valves, the filter bypass valve and the oil pressure regulator valve. The bypass valve is the one shown in the pics earlier in the thread. If the filter managed to get plugged or restricted, the pressure would overcome the bypass valve's spring pressure and lift the disc off the seat (the washer) and allow oil flow past the filter (unfiltered oil flow is better than no or little oil flow). The regulator valve, which is located in a port on the blockside of the adapter, functions similarly to the setup used in the FPR to regulate the lube oil pressure. On early PSDs the bypass valve was simply held in place by "staking" (basically 3 punch marks on the edge of the bore). I'm not sure if the regulator valve parts were even staked in. They updated the header in later versions to retain the bypass and regulator parts using a groove and snapring on both.

If the bypass falls out the oil just bypasses the filter (maybe not fully if the filter isn't plugged) which isn't good for the engine. The regulator valve parts will usually fall out if you're not paying attention when removing the header adapter for putting in new oil cooler O-rings as an example. If those parts are left out, there won't usually be enough lube oil pressure to keep up with the HP oil system needs and the truck won't start.

Hope that helps! Cheers!

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
Thanks bud, I got another 3000 miles on my oil change and ill check it out!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I take a look at mine every time I change the oil filter.

To me, the stakes holding the valve in place look secure.

I suppose through the years the vibration and pressure on the valve can work it loose. I have always assumed that if I ever find the valve comes out with the oil filter, I will be able to collect the parts and re-stake it back in place, hopefully for another 23 years of service.

·
Project Shamu
2,731 Posts
So on the filter adapter header, there are 2 valves, the filter bypass valve and the oil pressure regulator valve. The bypass valve is the one shown in the pics earlier in the thread. If the filter managed to get plugged or restricted, the pressure would overcome the bypass valve's spring pressure and lift the disc off the seat (the washer) and allow oil flow past the filter (unfiltered oil flow is better than no or little oil flow). The regulator valve, which is located in a port on the blockside of the adapter, functions similarly to the setup used in the FPR to regulate the lube oil pressure. On early PSDs the bypass valve was simply held in place by "staking" (basically 3 punch marks on the edge of the bore). I'm not sure if the regulator valve parts were even staked in. They updated the header in later versions to retain the bypass and regulator parts using a groove and snapring on both.

If the bypass falls out the oil just bypasses the filter (maybe not fully if the filter isn't plugged) which isn't good for the engine. The regulator valve parts will usually fall out if you're not paying attention when removing the header adapter for putting in new oil cooler O-rings as an example. If those parts are left out, there won't usually be enough lube oil pressure to keep up with the HP oil system needs and the truck won't start.

Hope that helps! Cheers!
I did my oil change and found mine held in with a snap ring. When did they start doing the snap ring? I'm wondering if the shop who rebuilt my engine did the update or if I had it all along? Either way, good news :grin:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did my oil change and found mine held in with a snap ring. When did they start doing the snap ring? I'm wondering if the shop who rebuilt my engine did the update or if I had it all along? Either way, good news :grin:

I think they started with the snap ring in 96, but I could be wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts