Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Ohio wher they love to salt.

I have some paint bubbles starting around the wheel wells on the bed. I have some ideas and a plan. I will post what i am planning. I would like any input on my plan good or bad or changes or somthing you would do instead.

I know i should cut and weld but not gonna untill it shows thru or around fender flares. I will be putting on fender flares they are in the basement awaiting paint.

OK here goes.

Wire wheel all bubbles and inner well as best i can to fresh steel.

Coat every thing with Rustolium rust converter. Including inside between inner well and outer skin. I plan on just slinging it all over in ther and letting it run and hope fully getting the pinch real good. If i can get my arm in there i will brush it on. Let it dry real well.

I will brush on a heavy coat of primer. Not sure on type or brand any ideas?

Than I will brush on a heavy coat of paint. I have some Rustolium Hammered black about 2/3 of a quart I was thinking of using. Unless there is somthing better any ideas?

Than get some rubberized undercoating to make it all look nice in the well.

I am brushing every thing to save on masking and cuz i want a thick coat and realy dont care what it looks like as I am putting on flares.

Thanks for reading
Dale.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Gonna do the same to my truck, biggest thing is sanding out as much rust as you can, as long as you seal her up good it should be fine.

My plan is sand, rust converter, prime, linex.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
I gotta bubble too; ditto on the cut and weld. My plan is to sand, coat with this: POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks and then top coat where necessary. Por15 reacts to UV light so it needs a top coat. Otherwise, it is self-leveling so brushing should come out pretty good.
Best,
Jim

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Guys, the bubbles means the fender underneath is gone, so wirewheeling it will give you holes once you get through the paint. It will be even worse if the fender lip is starting to separate.

Good luck, but I've seen more than enough OBS's like yours and mine to know what's going on. Mine is in worse shape, it had bubbles the last 2 winters, the paint came off this spring, and the fender will soon be see through. :( It's getting a new bed.

Dave

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Guys, the bubbles means the fender underneath is gone, so wirewheeling it will give you holes once you get through the paint. It will be even worse if the fender lip is starting to separate.

Good luck, but I've seen more than enough OBS's like yours and mine to know what's going on. Mine is in worse shape, it had bubbles the last 2 winters, the paint came off this spring, and the fender will soon be see through. :( It's getting a new bed.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I figure I'm just postponing the inevitable of getting a new bed, but since the labor is free I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. ;)

Best,
Jim

·
PSN Veteren
178 Posts
Good luck. I'm from Ohio too and my truck is rusted out to. Just waiting for a good deal on a bed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did the same thing to "temporary" fix the rust. Grind - paint, wait a few months - Grind - paint. It sucks but it does slow it down. My work truck needs a new bed and doors - DAMN SALT!!!!!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
ya feel your pain.. Im in the same boat. just ordered teh last of my patch pannels for the bed to put on in a few weeks. Bought a panel flanger for this job as i really didnt feel like trying to get the cuts 100% perfect to but weld the pannels. after they are all belded ill take some seam sealer and fill in the seam on the back and undercoat the crap out of it..

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
Me tooooooooo. Hoping to be on the look out for a black OBS shortbed in great shape to put on. What was a bubble last year on the right rear turned into a paint chip'd rust hole last week. And now there is a small bubble on the left rear.

I am just hoping to hold off for a year or 2, find the neccessary parts, do the body work and coat the backside of everything with POR15. And then have the paint resprayed.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I am in pa and my bed is the same way! I had one side fixed last year and the other side is doing it now,,,, so I got a new bed this summer! I am just waiting for t to be painted

·
150 Posts
Mine has surprisingly not rusted out there but it did rust out inside the bed :(. Damn Ohio!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts