Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Carolina Gray Boy
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I install a 08 up OEM super duty back up camera on my early 99 super duty?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just did my 00 a few weeks ago. For the camera, I used a cheep Chinese version off ebay that's built into the tailgate handle like the 08's. The handle does not feel as strong as stock so if I were to do it again I would purchase the camera that is by itself and gets mounted into a hole you drill in the factory handle. Price was within a few dollars on both. I did already have an 08 tailgate and am not sure off hand if the older tailgates work with the new handle.

For install, pull the panel off the tailgate, fish the wire down to the drain holes at the bottom. Run the wire up to the front by the radio or whatever you are using for a display. The camera gets 12v switched power from the accessory circuit and video out to the radio or other display. If you want the camera to come on in reverse, you will need a wire to the backup lights. I tapped the wire off the transmission. For the display, you can use a radio that supports a backup camera. Other options would be a sunvisor with a display, rear view mirror with display, GPS that accepts camera input or a standalone display for a backup camera.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a dent in my tailgate so I got a 2009 Tailgate and installed it pretty easily. I then installed a camera that was built into the Ford Logo on the new tailgate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts