Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Got Bost???
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an odd issue going on. Once the truck is warm, 200* oil temp, it will quit when coming to an idle and wont re start for a few minutes. This has happened 3 times now and seems to be an intermintent issue. I know its definately a hpo issue, not sure if its a bad ipr, perhaps a bad stock hpo pump or maybe just a tuning issue with the big oil and stock tuning. The only thing that has me scratching my head is the fact it wont re start immediatly.

I have a gen3 style system with 400/200's and running stock tde1 programing, as I havnt gotten it tuned yet. I do have a check valve in the supply side of the gear pump.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Ive got an odd issue going on. Once the truck is warm, 200* oil temp, it will quit when coming to an idle and wont re start for a few minutes. This has happened 3 times now and seems to be an intermintent issue. I know its definately a hpo issue, not sure if its a bad ipr, perhaps a bad stock hpo pump or maybe just a tuning issue with the big oil and stock tuning. The only thing that has me scratching my head is the fact it wont re start immediatly.

I have a gen3 style system with 400/200's and running stock tde1 programing, as I havnt gotten it tuned yet. I do have a check valve in the supply side of the gear pump.

Any ideas?
Tuning.

IIRC that was the biggest hurtle that tuners had when trying to tune for big oil.
It's not tuned. He's still running stock tuning. I would call Jonathan at Swamps and get some big oil tunes. That is most likely the issue.

Diane

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Gear pumps, like the one on the Gen3, don't make much pressure at cranking speeds. When the oil is hot and the oil viscocity is down the gear pump can't make enough oil pressure to even fire off the HUEI injectors.

If your stock HPOP is dead you will be able to start on cold motor oil just on the GEN3 but once it's warm it's no dice for you.

The way to check this is to install a gauge on your oil rail and when cranking on warm oil check to see the pressure. If it's below 650 psi (I think is the number) those injectors simply will not fire and you have found your problem.

·
Got Bost???
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know its not making hpo when it dies and is around 200*, however last night it only cooled down to 194* and re fired, so I ran it some more got the oil temps to 204* and it ran fine and idled fine. Just seems odd that a dead pump has an intermittent issue, I would think it would do this every time it got warm.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Could it be the IPR or the ICP sensor itself having a issue? That might explain the intermittent nature?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Jacob,
When I got my truck back together last Spring, I had a heck of a time starting it when hot. Took losts of cranking but would eventually fire. Not sure why.
My starter soon died and I replaced it with a HT from DB. Thing spins over real fast now and I have forgotten all about the hot start issue.
Something to think about.
I'd still run a gauge on the HPOil system somewhere to see what it's doing when hot.

·
Got Bost???
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jacob,
When I got my truck back together last Spring, I had a heck of a time starting it when hot. Took losts of cranking but would eventually fire. Not sure why.
My starter soon died and I replaced it with a HT from DB. Thing spins over real fast now and I have forgotten all about the hot start issue.
Something to think about.
I'd still run a gauge on the HPOil system somewhere to see what it's doing when hot.
Yes, I remember that. I might have to check into that, where is the place that has the high torque starters for a reasonable price? I know mine dosent crank like it used to and Im only running a single battery which might be compounding the issue.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/

That DB starter really whirls it over. It's a huge difference.
My truck had been sitting for quite awhile, almost a year. I did a bunch of Mods to my truck. The DB starter was one of them. Threw a charge on the batteries and it spun the motor over like a Top. I then went out and drove it for about 20 miles. Came back home and shut it down. About an hour later I went back out to park it in the backyard and keyed the motor.......
I thought the damn starter was going to spin the flywheel off the crank!

Best mod I've done to the truck....the HPOP gets going right now and life is much better for the batteries, no more long cranking, even when the truck been sitting over night or for three or four days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts