Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo I know the standard deal for deltas is +/-15 degrees around 185 for my truck, recently though I have been running 175 for coolant and barely 160 for the oil.... what the heck is going on here? Any ideas folks?

Added note I am so believe my coolant cap needs to be replaced.

Thanks for the help!
Zack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
What are the temps reading when the engine is cold?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the temps reading when the engine is cold?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Working on that now lol, truck was hot when I posted and I am still letting it cool due to being at work, I will take note when I leave here in about 2hrs... so it will have sat 6 hours since I have started it.

Ambient temp here in Ky is 45-55 right now

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
^^^ that’s my idea also. Seems stuck open but checking the cold temps first is a good idea.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the delays guys,

Cold with ambient air being 55 after 6 hours of sitting both oil and coolant is at 65....

After about 100 degrees on warm up is when the oil and coolant temp begin to separate...

Coolant will be 174 and oil will be 150ish and stay just at that spread.....

Thermostat is something I have been thinking as well and also the oil temp sender....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would start with a thermostat without question

Ya that’s what I am thinking..... damn I hate working on my own truck these days

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I haven’t gotten to the thermostat yet, planned to tonight along with addressing u joints.... well before I got to the thermostat I decided to knock out the u joints.....

Well I cracked the rear drive shaft as I was pressing it out..... if any one has a 04 ccsb 2x4 rear shaft (post carrier bearing) lemme know.....

Thank god I got the shop truck fixed yesterday

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got the rear drive shaft jerry rigged at the Moment and am looking for a new one while this one holds up....

I replaced the thermostat and the deltas are oil being 172 was the highest I saw with the coolant at 180.....

I am thinking the oil temp is toast. And it didn’t take the truck over 15 min of highway driving to get to 170 on the coolant temp sooo I think it’s a combination of issues

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
Hmmm, does the fan spin freely

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Not quite sure was moving quick this morning so
I could get on paying jobs.... I’ll check it here at lunch

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Fan spins “freely” but has resistance like a normal fluid fan clutch in my opinion... I can compare against my shop truck tomorrow

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
I was just wondering if the fan was locked up. I'm stumped. How cold is it there?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just wondering if the fan was locked up. I'm stumped. How cold is it there?

44 degrees today and it was warmer these past few days

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So here is my temps after 20 min of driving..... I am going to assume the oil temp probe is on its way out..... a thermo couple only works so long I guess

·
Registered
42 Posts
since it's working the same as ECT but goes off as it heats up, it could be something really strange going on in the harnesses but the simple answer, EOT sender? I saw one on ebay for $7, if it was me I would buy it for testing.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,162 Posts
You could swap the EOT and ECT sensors (they are the same part) and see what that does.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey ya well finally can close this one out.... sorry for the delay but I snapped the drive shaft and have been searching for the past month and got one....

But I put the new sensor in tonight after the drive shaft and all’s good in the hood lol

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey ya well finally can close this one out.... sorry for the delay but I snapped the drive shaft and have been searching for the past month and got one....

But I put the new sensor in tonight after the drive shaft and all’s good in the hood lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts