Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't normally drive my truck hard, but when I came home today I was curious to see what psi the turbo makes if I stall the truck up like I was going to drag race. I had the truck in 1st gear and the DP on 120. I only did it for a few secs but when I let off the OD light was flashing. I killed the truck and let it sit a few minutes, then started it and drove it around. Light went out and truck shifts fine. Any ideas on what I did to throw the code?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Don't do that no more.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I don't plan on it. I was just wondering if by doing what I did maybe I caused the converter to slip or get hot or something, I don't know what all will cause a code but I don't like it. It's a 2001, mech. diode went out about 20,000 miles ago and I can't afford to have another tranny rebuilt.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Probably just slipped the converter a bit. Should be OK if you take her easy. Might want to replace the converter ASAP. A shelled out converter can take out a tranny in a couple of seconds.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,062 Posts
I doubt that the code that set was for the converter. I'm betting on one of the other clutches. But none of us know, and we won't know unless you get the codes read. Whatever code was set will still be in memory even if the light isn't flashing.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I am going with what Mark says. He is the tranny guru.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got the codes read today. P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor and P0720 Output Speed Sensor. Any ideas? Truck shifts fine, just like always. Do I change these or just let it go?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I would clear the codes and see if they repeat.

·
Diesel Huffer
908 Posts
in my 03 when the o/d light was flashing it normally because the trans has a problem of some sort, in my case my 3rd gear solonoid had snaped off the solonoid pack, so dont do that again or a new or rebuild trans is in your futrure

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not trying to hijack, but my OD light will flash for a few seconds occasionally. I drive my truck gently all the time, but sometimes when I down shift manually to second or first (down a slow, steep hill) the light will flash afterwards. It rarely sets off the CEL, but it has twice. Both times the code was for Digintal Trans. Sensor "out of range". Does this mean I need a DTS sensor? Just curious. Thanks

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,062 Posts
I believe when it flashes it has to do with the line pressure in the tranny.
I believe you're wrong. The TCM doesn't know what the line pressure is inside the trans. There is no pressure transducer in the transmission.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,062 Posts
Both times the code was for Digintal Trans. Sensor "out of range". Does this mean I need a DTS sensor? Just curious. Thanks
Either that or a bad wire or connection to the DTS.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Listen to Mark, if he says it, it is so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts