PSN intsigator
6,861 Posts
cuz they lead to me finding out 4 and 5 intake valves were RUINED
this lead to me pulling the head, finding the cylinders needed to be sleaved
then lead to me sleaving all 8 cylinders
then lead to me putting Carrillo rods in
that lead to new de-lipped/coated pistons
that lead to...
all because of the springs, if I had never got them, I woulda have saved millions... er… thousands...

View attachment 201709
, so the issue was already there, the springs just helped you notice it more

·
Registered
54 Posts
, so the issue was already there, the springs just helped you notice it more
cylinder 1: .025 shim
cylinder 2: .020 shim
cylinder 3: .035 shim
cylinder 4: ...oh $#!^ .210 worth of shims

maybe other head will be ok...

cylinder 5: .180

Fml...

incoming back pain, pulled heads with engine in truck and no hoist... much cussing involved and many beers to help with smashed pinky pain...

pro tip: move pinky finger before setting head down

I appear to have hijacked thread, apologies... please post more

btw we should have very similar engines as your injector choice is almost identical to mine

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My 910’s has slight valve to piston contact with 350/200s on a easy gh tune.
Please save yourself by getting the beehives.
The 910s were shimmed 45 thousandths to get adequate seat pressure and that was not enough.
I was only turning 3700 rpm.
With a large 76mm precision.

·
PSN intsigator
6,861 Posts
The 910s were shimmed 45 thousandths to get adequate seat pressure and that was not enough.
Did you ever get the cam gear issue straitened out on your truck?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Did you ever get the cam gear issue straitened out on your truck?
I did.
Courtesy of colt cams, a welder and a full build.
Lol

·
PSN intsigator
6,861 Posts
Glad to hear it

·
Registered
54 Posts
oof... your almost double our injectors lol T.T

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
oof... your almost double our injectors lol T.T
The reason I brought it up is because I was only running a 1.2 ms tune at max load on hottest tune.
So definitely not using all of the fuel available.
This should have put me around 550 hp according to estimates.
I told GH I want to keep the rods in the block, keep cylinder pressure low and keep fueling out of low rpm.
He obliged and it was smooth as a sowing machine with low smoke and decent egts.
However the cam gear walked forward 1/8” on a boosted launch and lost cam signal due to being too close to the cam sensor.
OP is shooting for around the same goals I believe and that’s why I thought it was pertinent.
However with OPs turbo, he may see higher cylinder pressure down lower in the rpm depending on tuning.
From what I have personally experienced the beehives will be better for him.
More money yes, but more gooder.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #109

I get what your'e saying, but I have no piston to valve contact right now with the stock springs, 238/100s and turning 4800-5000 rpms so these def aren't gonna hurt anything :cool:🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Well currently my shop is tied up with my super duty, after 3 years of abuse on a bone stock trans (original with 138,000 miles) it finally exploded, literally. the forward drum actually came out of the pan area with part of the input shaft still stuck in it lol so ive been slowly building a direct copy of sam Wyse's stage 3 trans. its been a slow, but informative, process to say the least. This is my first DIY trans build so fingers crossed! With everything being cancelled I haven't been in any rush to get to the obs sadly, But as soon as this truck is out of the way its back to thrashing on it for yalls entertainment lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
So got to drive the super duty last night with the new trans and all I can say is WOW! I had no idea how much power I WASN'T putting to the ground lol the Suncoast converter stalls at 1700 on the money (right at my peak torque) and the john wood VB is the perfect mix of firm and crisp. I must say I was super nervous with this being my first trans build, and ill still be hesitant for a while, but I couldn't be happier at the moment with it!

·
PSN intsigator
6,861 Posts
Hmmmm, Suncoast converter huh... i may hafta check them out, my converter stalls at 1300 iirc, it sucks bad

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
yessir! it is their 4r100-36-3d model. Its a low stall model, triple disk, and according to Alec at Suncoast it will hold "anything you can throw at it" <----his words not mine haha I had a stock replacement in it before and it would flash stall up to 2400-2500 (way higher than peak torque) and was sluggish as hell off the line. now it launches hard enough that my fan speed and climate temp knobs landed in the backseat, no joke lol Literally feels like a totally different truck now lol

·
Project Shamu
2,860 Posts
I noticed the exact same thing when I put my DieselSite trans, it almost felt like the torque converter was locked when in 1st and 2nd gear! It put so much more power to the ground when unlocked.

Reactions: Makinnoyz1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Yea im kicking myself for waiting so long to do it! And after building one I have to say I kindve enjoyed the build. I always like learning new things, and I refuse to let anyone else do my work. If it didn't work the only person I could've blamed was myself lol

Reactions: heavydoc and Shovel

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #116

well :( its with a VERY heavy heart that I inform everyone that the super duty is gone.:/ a trans line busted and caught fire. there was nothing I could do. Its obviously a total loss. So much time, so many all nighters in the shop, so much blood sweat and tears. all of that, gone in an instant. needless to say im devastated.

Ill be shopping for trucks soon, I stopped and test drove a 2020 ram 3500 (HO 6.7 cummins/Aisin) and I think im in love. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise, idk. But ill be alright, and I will prevail!

·
PSN intsigator
6,861 Posts
I am sorry for your loss

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Thanks man. I've been in tears for days over it. I feel like I lost a child. I have so much time and money in that truck, it just kills me inside. I get very attached to my vehicles, as most do. But I searched for a very long time to find a super duty with that low of miles, with no rust, and basically stock. I was so happy when I found that truck, and I loved that thing. But oh well, when the man upstairs had different plans, what can you do?

·
Registered
646 Posts
That bites! Sorry to see it go up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Well yall will be happy to know that I am now back on track for building the OBS now lmao I dropped the driveshaft off at my welder to have a new yoke welded on today. Need to get 2 new batteries and install, need to install valve springs, pushrods and studs. Then im probably gonna have some one piece charge pipes made up (tired of blowing boots). Then itll be time to get bedsides, fenders and floor pans done. Its a bit of project still lol

Reactions: heavydoc
101 - 120 of 121 Posts