Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #61

heres a little update on the trans controller. coming along very nicely!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well folks I have an update that I was hoping I would never have to write. The wife and I are being blessed with our second child (the good news) The bad news is that we are going to need a larger truck. And to free up some funds to accomplish this I am having to sell the single cab :( this has been a fun project, and I have poured a lot of time, effort and money into it. I have learned a lot and I plan to use this knowledge and even some of the same parts on my super duty. Development of the transmission controller will be shifted to the 4r100 plat form so subscribe to my youtube channel to stay up to date on that. The previous owner of the truck (my best friend) is buying it back so it isn't going too far away. I am saddened that it is going but also excited to work on the super duty as well. I may make another thread detailing the goals with it. it has been fun ill see yall around!

Reactions: Lt.Dan

·
Project Shamu
2,860 Posts
Congrats bro, have fun with your 2nd!

Reactions: Makinnoyz1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
well after some soul searching, and even a few tears on the matter, the decision has been made to keep the truck. my father and I had a heart to heart and it really opened my eyes. I did not realize how many people stand behind me on this project. I come from a very small town and apparently watching me compete is a pass time for a lot of people. I'm kindve the home town underdog and didn't even know it. the truck is paid for and not eating anything so if it takes a while to get it right based on funds then so be it. the truck is my baby and I'm not gonna lie I cried when I made the temporary decision to sell it. it felt like I was selling a child. so disregard my last post we are going to continue forth with the build!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
well things didn't go as planned once again. brand new Yukon yoke and solid spicer u joint were destroyed. it looks as if the bolts gave way on the yoke strap. I ordered a new u bolt style billet yoke from east coast gear supply. will be pulling Friday night at my local fair hopefully with better results lol man this has been a rough year :(

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,425 Posts
Shoot man. Hang in there, you're just weeding out the weak spots to make way for more badassery.

Reactions: Makinnoyz1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Shoot man. Hang in there, you're just weeding out the weak spots to make way for more badassery.
I'm hanging in there man! shouldn't be much left to fail lmao But with power comes parts failure its too be expected. I just wanna show the world what these old dinosaurs can really do!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
You can do this!
I have been building and driving a Bronco II for more then 20 years you know how many times I've threatened to crush sell stab roll off a cliff that stupid POS
But like you it turns out others around me are inspired by my dedication to this truck, that means way more then any hunk of sheet metal ever could....so I still have the underdog of all 4x4 in the stable.

Small town hero!!! Everyone needs something to cheer for!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Well broke another yoke, but good lord was this thing on a mission!!!! Had to lift mid track which cost me the win but I’m so happy I could crap a rainbow ?

https://youtu.be/MAbQByHhRDc

·
Registered
693 Posts
Congratulations
Is the bouncing what is killing the yokes?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Congratulations
Is the bouncing what is killing the yokes?
This last time yes. I figured leaving the weight box off would help take a little stress off the driveline, but the lack of weight over the front has upset the balance of the truck. now all the weight (~1200lbs) is in the box in the bed. but I do believe that even if it hadn't hopped during this pul it still would have broken. you can see how much effective weight was on the rear at that end of the track something had to give.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
that was the last pull for the truck this year, so the winter build portion of the season is upon me. the short list of mods for next year are (in no particular order):

1. build a new weight box setup and remove weight from the bed

2. remove the bed and replace with 2 fiberglass bedside (no bed floor or inner bed, just a small aluminum frame to hold the fiberglass bedsides.

3. new 36% wheelbase pulling hitch, with pins to remove when not pulling (to shed weight for dirt drags)

4. 1480 rear and 1410 front driveshafts and chromoly yokes

5. dana 60 swap front end and regear (3.55s currently going to 4.10) rearend

6. new floor boards and seats

And if money allows :fiberglass tilt 1 piece front end (hood fenders and grill)

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,425 Posts
I hope you do the front end. That would be sick.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
oh man the one piece front end......
I am so glad to see your renewed vigor with this truck!!!!!!
NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

FIRST
ON
RACE
DAY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I want to so bad but the 1800$ price tag has me a little leery, also considering buying the bullnose front when I do it since it requires no extra work and the bull is my favorite bodystyle, but that's still up in the air lol the main thing is getting the driveline sorted out. I don't care how it looks, if all 4 aren't turning its pretty well useless lmao

Reactions: 410customs

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I like the bullnose front clip also
yes the body comes LAST
which is why I am doing the fiberglass and body work on my BII now after building it for 25 years I figured it might be time to make it all one color and cover the tires :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
does anyone know if the transfer case output yoke on a super duty is interchangeable with a 4407 from an obs? going to 1480 u joints and there are no off the shelf flange yokes available with a 2" pilot like the obs has. the super duty has the 2.68" pilot flange that I need and I have a spare t case from an SD laying in the shop. if the sd flange doesn't fit I cant machine an adapter ring to use the 2" piloted flange but id rather not if I don't have to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Having trouble finding fiberglass bedsides that don't have a rise or bulge (apparently the offroad guys dig that sh*t) anyone have any ideas? if I have too I guess some cheap aftermarket metal bedside probably wouldn't weigh all that much more. but really wanting the glass ones because I believe they would be harder to damage.

·
Project Shamu
2,860 Posts
Lol fiberglass bedsides are weak as sh!t. I've replaced hundreds of them on god knows how many race trucks. They never last. Just get the cheapest bedside you can find, whether it be steel or fiberglass.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Lol fiberglass bedsides are weak as sh!t. I've replaced hundreds of them on god knows how many race trucks. They never last. Just get the cheapest bedside you can find, whether it be steel or fiberglass.
Noted! I will probably just do that then. was also thinking maybe the bulged fenders might be kinda neat if I go drw for next season. and maybe do the bulged front end and have that prerunner look in a pulling truck, would def be different lol

61 - 80 of 121 Posts