Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive searched around on both these questions and found nothing...

i keep seeing turbos that people are saying d66 and h2e...
a buddy gave me a 2001 7.3 turbo to upgrade my 97. whats the name of this one? besides the obvious upgrades to make it work, is it actually an upgrade?(with a intercooler/chip/exhaust/etc)

can you fit a 4" downpipe on the truck with a 3" body lift? w/ hammering the pinchweld? or is major hammering on the firewall going to be necessary

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
stock SD turbo is actually a downgrade, the comp wheel in ours are whats called the WW so all you gain is a wastegate and lose a better comp wheel. iirc the 4" DP will fit with the 3" body lift but i aint sure it may need a little massaging to fit. anything else just PM me and ill try and help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow... a downgrade? crazy, and it looks bigger...

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
It's pretty much the same turbo, but the difference that makes it a downgrade is the compressor wheel. The SD compressor wheel is less aggressive, making it quieter.
Also, the turbine housing on the SD turbo includes a wastegate (OBS doesn't have a wastegate). The SD turbine housing is also tighter than the housing on the OBS. 0.84 vs. 1.15 if memory serves. This tighter housing makes the turbo spool up faster, but also increases the risk of over-speeding the turbo if the amount of exhaust gas driving it is not limited. That is what the wastegate is for.

You can convert the OBS to use the SD turbo. Several people have done this just to use the GTP38R, or other drop-in turbos for the SD.
The pedistal is slightly different between the SD and OBS, so the turbos are not interchangable as a unit between the OBS and SD unless you change the OBS to the SD pedistal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
your welcome, id stick with what i had before going to that stock SD turbo and just wait to save up for a better turbo, if you have the SD sell it and save for the upgrade, i know Diesel Innovations is coming out with a adaptor kit to fit GT42 series turbos http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52836, beans diesel has the D66 which is enough turbo for some stg 2's and some people are getting by with even stg 3's if your a gambling man, swamps diesel and wide open performance have many upgrades also. sorry for it being so long just trying to help you out. me personally im going with the 42 kit and some 238cc/80 or 100% nozzle inj.'s whenever i get the $$ and do my build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts