Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing a decline in fuel economy recently, and I'm sure the mileage on my truck does not help. Lately I've been cursing the winter fuel blend and averaging 11.5-12.5 mpg. With my latest tranny overhaul, I thought that I would get a lot better than that. Wrong!! The fact that I've been stretching out oil changes does not help either!! After fresh oil, filter, and fpr shim I'm up to 15.5 mpg on next two tanks of fuel.:eek: I would like to get a little more.....Don't we all??
I am considering smaller tires (33's maybe) if it will make that much difference.
What's gonna be the best injector & tuning combo for MPG's??
Thanks for any input.

·
1,096 Posts
Wait til it warms up some. Air density will drop and with it, aero drag.

Unless your truck is an egregious fuel hog (with noplace to go but up) commercial tunes really won't help MPG.

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually see maybe 2 mpg better from spring to summer. Got that.
My next build will be a mpg. truck, I know this is one is far from that.
So, what about custom tunes & split shots?? custom tunes & hybrids??
I have another engine in my garage for a build, I want to make it more fuel efficient!! If possible LOLLOL fuel efficient LOLLOL
Thanks

·
1,096 Posts
Did you read the stickies?

Particularly "Improving MPG," "The Nut Behind the Wheel," and "What Doesn't Work?"

Unless your truck is an unmitigated hog custom tunes will not get you more than a half MPG or so. Split-shot of single-shot injectors: No difference in MPG.

I run a one-of-a-kind special MPG tune and went to single-shot injectors about three years ago. I wish I could report that they substantially improved MPG, but they didn't.

Don't mess with the engine. If you have maintained it well, its is about as efficient as it will get. Work on the truck. Improved it aerodynamically. Put numerically lower gears in it. If it is an automatic, swap in a stick. If it is 4x4, gut the front axle and remove the transfer case.

Quit driving like Tony Stewart. He gets paid to drive fast - you don't. So many people post: "I gets 12 MPG and I drive it like I stole it." Duh.

Don't come off like a complete newbie. Read the stickies. they are the product of a decade and a half of trying one thing after another to improve MPG.

We can debate the content of the stickies if you like but at least read them.

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you read the stickies?

Don't come off like a complete newbie. Read the stickies. they are the product of a decade and a half of trying one thing after another to improve MPG.
Yea I know, still trying to get someone to do my homework for me. I'll read the stickies. Your the man!!:rockon:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts