Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 6.0 pump and have intentions of putting it on my truck (OBS), what exactly does a regulated return do? and why is it necessary? I am just trying to understand better.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Our trucks have a regulated return stock.

Non-return means that fuel pressure is regulated before it is sent to the heads and dead ends there.

Regulated return means that the fuel goes to the heads and the regulator is downstream of the heads. Fuel is sent to the heads and and a return line from the heads goes to the regulator to keep the correct pressure in the heads. Any excess fuel is returned to the tank. This system keeps the pump from deadheading (pushing on fuel that isn't going anywhere).

You don't have to do anything special to add the 6.0 pump other than wire it and connect the fuel supply and return lines to it correctly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our trucks have a regulated return stock.

Non-return means that fuel pressure is regulated before it is sent to the heads and dead ends there.

Regulated return means that the fuel goes to the heads and the regulator is downstream of the heads. Fuel is sent to the heads and and a return line from the heads goes to the regulator to keep the correct pressure in the heads. Any excess fuel is returned to the tank. This system keeps the pump from deadheading (pushing on fuel that isn't going anywhere).

You don't have to do anything special to add the 6.0 pump other than wire it and connect the fuel supply and return lines to it correctly.
Thank you so much I understand the regulated part now. And as for the pump I only got the frame mounted piece not the bowl too so I am planning to put two spin on CAT filters inline on the way to the engine.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
You don't use the bowl with e-fuel. That 6.0 pump (HFCM actually) has a prefilter built into it already, so you really only need a post-pump filter.

I have this setup on my e-fuel.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You don't use the bowl with e-fuel. That 6.0 pump (HFCM actually) has a prefilter built into it already, so you really only need a post-pump filter.

Have a pic?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I mean the 6.0 bowl, some people use it. And within reason could you filter too much like would two spin ons be a bad thing?

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has ever installed a 6.0 fuel bowl on a 7.3, seeing how the 6.0 fuel bowl and oil filter housing are one piece, and if you hacked it up, you would have no way to mount it

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Have pix of 6.0 HFCM Horrizontal Fuel Conditioning Module in my sig pix look in 97 folder fluid mods. I run Donaldson pre filter water separator, 6.0 filter then cat filter has worked awesome.

jrc

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey csp could you by chance remember what filter base to use with the cat spin on filter?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I have no idea. There's a crapton of electric fuel info on the web with part numbers though. I got it from Fleetfilter.com. Just your standard 1" base.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The only badside that I've found is that the 6.0 filters are sold in a pair. You can't get the pre-filter that is installed in the HFCM separately from the filter that is in the fuel bowl.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only badside that I've found is that the 6.0 filters are sold in a pair. You can't get the pre-filter that is installed in the HFCM separately from the filter that is in the fuel bowl.
Damn, really? does the fuel bowl filter work in a 7.3 superduty?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Yup that is a p•ss off for sure, as I run a Donaldson spin on pre filter that is a water separator too the stock 6.0 has always been clean and no water in the 6.0 housing. The other thing I did when designing mine was to have the same sized filters, pre and post (pump) so that in a pinch I could spin on the cat as a pre filter. The cat filter I use is very common.

When I make my system for the 96 Ill use the stock SD 7.3 e-pump with same pre/post filtration and not use a the HFCM, as I never did hook up the water sensor or heater ran the wiring just never hooked up hahaa.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
My HFCM came from a later model 6.0 ('05) and didn't even have the fuel heater. I didn't wire the water sensor either. Never saw it come on with the factory fuel setup and didn't really see a need for it with Efuel either.

If you're asking does a 7.3 fuel filter fit a 6.0, the answer is no
No, he's asking if the secondary 6.0 filter that you get in a pair with the pre-filter will fit the 7.3 SD fuel bowl. The answer is still no, however.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dang that sucks but oh well its not that terribly expensive for both so ill find somebody to give it to I suppose, and I most likely will not hook up the water sensor or the heater since neither have ever been a problem for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts