Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been on vacation for this past week and was up in Indy with the truck. As I am leaving town, stop to fill and found this:

post a pic

I must have kicked up something from the underside and flexed the fender and thus, cracked the paint. So I am taking it back to the painter in 2 weeks to fix it, but now I am considering options on how to prevent it. Considering the current two options:

1. Rhino-line the inside of the fenders extra thick. Rhino-liner is more rubber like than Linex, so I think it will have the energy absorption I am looking for. Not sure about the additional weight stressing the fenders.

2. Using 1/8” UHMW sheeting and molding an inner fender deflector to
Hopefully prevent this.

Anyone done something similar to this before? Any other ideas?

Cory

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Lining the inside should work.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
The paint shouldnt have cracked if you are talking about one of the fiberglass rear fenders. If the fender has been painted before, the painter didnt add the flex agent to the paint.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am familiar with the flex agents, and this painter has been doing work along time. These fenders do not appear to be fiberglass, but SMC material for which he was familiar with. Now with all this being said, a sharp force hit from the backside could cause enough deformation that the tensile strength of the paint could not stand, causing the crack.

To me, the bigger concern is that there is nothing to take the brunt of high speed wheel debris. I spent a lot of time on gravel this past week and suspect this is what caused my failure. A inner panel or Linex could go a long way toward prevention.

Either way, I will discuss when I am there and we’ll get it fixed.

Cory

1 - 4 of 4 Posts