Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Ya, the new guy..
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first issue I want to address is with my 97 obs door handles. Cc truck. I'm already ordering 2 pair of the black Dorman replacement interior handles that are metal for the 80-86 Era trucks. I know I've seen alot of people suggest. To the same Era latch mechanism for a permanent fix to stretching latch cables, however the boneyard's here have already been picked clean. Hence why I'm buying new handles. I only see two brand of cables on amazon and more unbranded ones on Google. The two amazon shows are Dorman and adpty. Anybody have any experience with either of these two? Which one holds up better? Are they both Chinese? I'm not against going to manual linkage if I could find it, just concerned if front door linkage and latches will fit properly in the rear doors of a cc. Also would tell cables work there too? This is my first cc obs and I've never been inside of a back door, just front doors of several over the years. Any input would be appreciated and I'll be posting my results from test fitting when my first pair of cables comes in

· Ya, the new guy..
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not currently, but I am gonna replace all of the pulls at the same time and trash the plastic ones. Gonna put 6x9's in the lower portion of the door since I lack a plastic panel there and then wire all 4 doors for power to windows and locks in preparation for all that jazz.

I'm Making long term plans for a king ranch swap, but that's for another thread when I have the entire donor truck to play with.

In the long run, I want to swap in linkage anyways so I'll never have to worry about cable stretch again. Basically I just want to know now, if the linkage from the handle to the latch mechanism will hook up without modification. If it won't, I'm assuming it's gonna be on the long side and need shortening. No biggie, I'll just knock a few inches out and weld it back together.

I'm wanting to stick with junk yard parts if I can, just cause I know they never wear out (practically) and sourcing good quality new parts is quite a pain sometimes. Sorry this is so long winded, lol. I've got a pretty solid plan I think, I'm just not quite ready to put it into a build thread yet. You know, being a poor boy with two 7.3's to take care of means it's slow progress lol.

· Ya, the new guy..
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never did update this but for any who are interested, this is a direct replacement option. Fairly common knowledge for most of us, but not all that much in the up and coming "enthusiasts". If your tired of broken handles, fix it with the only permanent solution. I pulled my set of linkage and latches from an 84 truck I believe, at my local pick-a-part.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
4,186 Posts
Found this while looking around . . . . In case someone searches for OBS Doors latching or not.

· Registered
928 Posts
Replacing the strike sleeve doesn't fix the root problem, which is door misalignment (which is usually due to worn hinges, which are usually due to neglect). This & the NEXT several pics describe the right way to align them:

This is what most owners DON'T do:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts