Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently scraped a engine from a reefer unit, the little isuzu diesel had a oil bypass filter setup, I saved the filter and head the filter is a thermo king 11-9101 bypass extended drain, and it only has like 1/4 lines so do you guys think it would be ok to plumb in and use???

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking on supplyin the filter with the pressure port on the stock filter head and returing to maybe the valve cover?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any other diy set-ups?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
the TK power unit for the reefer is very small displacement and that kit it too small for the our stuff. The 7.3 needs a lot more flow, especially as the engines age/wear. No flow and you will start pumping oil out of everything.

I won't run the vent through the intake, but I am not satisfied with just running the vent to atmosphere -- it stinks and at night, it looks like the truck is on fire. lol

At some point, i plan to try a filter like the Racor CCV4500 but they are spendy things.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Venting it into exhaust wouldn't work would it?

·
Pre-K
410 Posts
Why don't you get 15feet of hose and an 8" length of 4" PVC with two caps and some clamps. No need to run it to exhaust. Run it through the pvc where it will catch any liquids and continue with another piece of hose to the back bumper where it will release only fumes. Check the PVC cap every oil change.... ?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
any other diy set-ups?
You may wish to do a search on here there are a number of guys that have done a DIY oil filter by pass system. Have pix in sig below for the two different ones I put on my trucks. check out link and in both red truck and black truck folders.

To be clear this is for Engine Oil by pass filtration systems not Crank Case Vent mod.

jrc

·
Registered
295 Posts
Or you could just buy a full flow / bypass oil filter that drops right in place of teh stock oil filter. Fleetguard sells them under the "Venturi" name. LF9691 is the one I use (I think JCart does as well) which is a 3.2" longer version (read: more oil capacity) for a CAT application. Just a thought.

Cory

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cumminstrader- you mean theres a longer filter that goes on the stock filter head? any improvements to flow? and for the bypass filter i would want to use this in conjunction with the stock system, why does the size of the line matter? couldn't i just increase the line size? or just keep it the same and use it as a hpop filter?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I look at it this way, the LF9027 which is the Venturi filter that is the stock replacement for the stock oil filter. When you have a bypass filter it only diverts a percentage of the total oil through the much finer (read lower micron rating catches more debris) filter element, but since it is routing the whole oil flow through it doesn't impede system flow and cause a restriction. Now since the 9027 I listed above has the same filter case size, it means Bo the the full flow filter and bypass filter are smaller and can not hold as much debris because they are occupying the same case space. Now, if you take the LF9691 which is 3.2 inches longer allows both filters to be larger and have more capacity for debris. So it is not really a matter of having better flow with the 9691 it is simply a matter of being able to hold more debris without cause early filter plugging. That plus carrying another 2 quarts of oil means the oil stays a little cooler and goes through less shear cycles in theory. As for your setup itis again a matter of sizing for filter plugging. Your may be too small. I also look at it from a space and more possible leak points perspective.

Cory

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Or you could just buy a full flow / bypass oil filter that drops right in place of teh stock oil filter. Fleetguard sells them under the "Venturi" name. LF9691 is the one I use (I think JCart does as well) which is a 3.2" longer version (read: more oil capacity) for a CAT application. Just a thought.

Cory
Whoa good memory Cory....I run one (LF9691) as well as a remote by pass Luberfiner Zgard like the one in the link and is 5" by 12" long. Have not done any UOA yet.... but intend to at some point.

http://luberfiner.brunnerdigital.com/products/docs/ZgardBrochure.pdf

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm goining to with the fleetgaurd because its easier and cheaper, do you guys like the performance of the lf9691?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I'm goining to with the fleetgaurd because its easier and cheaper, do you guys like the performance of the lf9691?
Have not done a UOA with this filter measured against to stocker. Based my use of it based on the fact it's bigger (more oil) and supposed to filter out smaller particles than the stock one.

An other option is to look at the Donaldson filter as it's supposed to filter even lower too... Sorry can't recall the exact part number of the filter.

jrc

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I like the sounds of the donaldson filter if it more efficent any one know the Pt# for that?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I do think it is important to realize, that most of our engines who are going well over 200,000 miles on a standard oil filter and conventional oil were designed to so. By adding the bypass oil system on top of that is over and above. As far as filters go, get one that you can readily find available in your area to minimize downtime as this to me would be more important in Donaldson vs. Fleetguard... I'll let you in on a secret, they share alot of the same filters....

Cory

1 - 16 of 16 Posts