Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just how did you test for leaks?

At this point i'm guessing a leak or the turbo is crapping out. You are either leaking it out or just not making the boost to begin with.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I used a shop vac . I didn't have time to get a 3in pice of PVC and make a better one . the turbos not but 6 months old that would b ####ty if it was bad

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Do you mean the black tube that goes from the filter to the turbo???

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Yeah I actually Blew it out making that last video
That tube should NEVER see boost!! That is only a tube to Chanel the air from the filter to the turbo.. You should never have trouble with that tube. It NEVER See's any pressure.. just suction..

Do you have any picture of under your hood???

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
sorry for the confusion i explained it wrong, it has a crack where it clamps to the turbo inlet . i got another one on there and no change .

Attachments

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
That still will not afect boost any.. There is no pressure going through that hose..

What you need to do to test for a boost leak.. Is clamp a pipe (that is caped on one end with a valve stem on it and a pressure gauge) to the inlet of the turbo.. Then pressure it up to 30 or 40 pounds to see if you got a leak...

That is the only really good way to find a boost leak..

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Got it all fixed . Rememeber when you were a kid and your dad told you to start with the simple things ... Well this was one of those times . I cleaned my air filter and she ran great. Thanks for everyone's help . Yall have a good Christmas

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
It was just the air filter!!! What kind of filter do you have????

Glad you found the problem!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Just a aem papper filter , I'm gonna get another one mines gettin old

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I guess the ripped intake tube (from sucking shut multiple times :doh:) should have been a clue to us, but we'll just have to file it in the memory banks as having learned something! Nice find!

this was a good thread... btw, how many miles were on the filter?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I've had the filter since I bought the truck and I put a little over 30k on her , I wanna say I cleaned it about 5 thousand miles ago tho

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
How'd you clean it? Nice that you got it figured....hahaaa
Years ago on my '96 first K&N 9" by 11" round ones had a nylon sock to filter off the bigger debris, problem was I let it go un maintained too long and had a similar thing with black smoke. Engine tried to suck it flat.... On paper filters now I usually write on the filter label the date changed.

jrc

·
Registered
433 Posts
i made the same mistake cleaning my air filter. i wasn't using the [email protected] oil cleaner, instead i was using dish soap which i thought was doing a good job and it wasn't. i bought a new filter out west on vac. when a parts guy set me straight! lesson learned!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I just used a 5 gallon bucket filled it with water and let it soak

·
Registered
379 Posts
I thought it was odd watching the video that the harder you pushed it the less boost it made. And the giveaway should have been when you let off the boost gauge actually showed and increase for a split second. I saw this once before when and I/C clogged up on a SD. But I knew you where not running one and knew that could not be it.

Glad you got it going. Now keep that boost under 40lbs.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I thought it was odd watching the video that the harder you pushed it the less boost it made. And the giveaway should have been when you let off the boost gauge actually showed and increase for a split second. I saw this once before when and I/C clogged up on a SD. But I knew you where not running one and knew that could not be it.

Glad you got it going. Now keep that boost under 40lbs.
Thanks again for the help . It was a good learning experience for sure . And I'll
Keep the boost down until I get some head studs orderd up !!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts