Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my trusty 1997 CC needed a new set of front lights, they were badly oxidized making it tough to see at night. A while back I bought a set of front lights that were just like the originals but the headlight reflectors were European "cut" type. Last week I took the front of the truck apart to install the new lights, it was near dark when I finished so I didn't notice the headlight reflectors lacked what appear to be a headlight bulb output diffuser the stock reflectors use:surprise:. At first I though it must be the bulbs are different (they came installed with the light assembly) having a different output array, finally turning on the lights in the dark even though poorly aimed the pattern seemed very narrow top to bottom and not really wide side to side, standing in front of one side to compensate for what I thought was just really poor aim proved the the actual output is very much the way it appeared even together. Since this discovery I have looked at numerous "other" reflectors, they all seem to use some type of bulb diffuser that mine lack, on top of that, my Ebay seller I bought my lights from still sells "my" style of euro light without the bulb diffuser shroud. Looking around on the various threads I expected to find someone mention this deflector but was surprised not to.
At this point with a 2200 mile round trip planned for next week that will include plenty of driving at night I'm tempted to buy another set of euro type headlights with the bulb diffuser just to hedge my bet, it will not take long to change them.
H-E-L-P PLEASE.
One more question, I've seen "projector refit" kits for sale, they imply they'll fit in the stock type headlight housing but to me it looks like the lens needs to come off to do it.

Attachments

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,471 Posts
I would buy new light housings, personally. Look for quality ones. Got mine off of ebay, aaand that was a mistake. You get what you pay for I guess. If you're iffy, maybe some stock replacements might be better quality.

I have yet to see any decent true projector retrofit kits out there for these trucks. I saw a thread on some custom ones a while back, but those werent commercially sold. Stick with the halogens or quality HIDs.

Reactions: Haztanker

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably going to do that, I like the idea of the drains in the bottom of the Euro light but what would prevent me from venting some replacement OEM housings?

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,471 Posts
Well you could always drill a hole in them. But that might actually allow condensation in, because properly made headlight housings should be watertight.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
You are correct that installing projectors requires splitting open the headlight housings. Just be aware that not all projectors fit inside the headlight housings and the nice vendors don't tell you that even when you provide yr/model info on your truck. Also some vendors don't offer refunds only credit, so if their stuff doesn't fit, you are SOL.

·
Project Shamu
2,998 Posts
So does anyone have opinions on the best headlights to buy for our OBS? Housing and bulb together. Mine are getting pretty bad as well.

·
Native Texan
9,095 Posts
vipmotoz obs lights

These are the ones I put on my truck and was very happy with them the are not oem quality but they are good quality. Actually had some one try and buy them off Craigslist when I sold my brush guard.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
There's a guy on a Facebook group I'm in called "OBS Revolution" that does complete HID retrofits. His work looks great and I should be buying a pair here soon. His name in Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts