Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Construction Babysitter
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I read somewhere that AE or Scangage would not communicate with the PCM in my 94.5. Is this true? I want to eventually install a Scangage.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Depends. Some 94 and 95's weren't fully OBDII compliant.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Didn't the 94.5 have an eec4 comp not an obdII? which would be found under the hood.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Some had the ford "1a" or something like that connector. Not all were under the hood. Some were in the cab.

All depends on the build date.. and PCM. All of which I don't remember. I do know that when I installed a '97 PCM in a early 95.. the OBDII port worked perfectly and I could read all pid's.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I have run into this also and was only able to read certain data. Just had a 92 7.3 IDI and had to use a snap on Brick to set the tps on the pump. Man that was a trip .

·
Construction Babysitter
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't the 94.5 have an eec4 comp not an obdII? which would be found under the hood.
Mine has a port under the dash, just above the transmission hump, and it also has what looks like a port under the hood on the drivers side fender right next to the hood hinge.

·
Construction Babysitter
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I hooked up any old OBDII scanner (I have one that is for gassers) and it powers up, would that be a good indication that mine is OBDII compliant, or could that cause some problems?

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Mine has a port under the dash, just above the transmission hump, and it also has what looks like a port under the hood on the drivers side fender right next to the hood hinge.

that should be the 1a. should have 2 pins at the top and 5 (i think) on the bottom.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
If I hooked up any old OBDII scanner (I have one that is for gassers) and it powers up, would that be a good indication that mine is OBDII compliant, or could that cause some problems?
Not really. Not all OBDII scanners will read the pids from the powerstroke.

NGS, Snap-on brick (mt2500) or newer, AE, ect...

Those will read all codes and pids.

·
Construction Babysitter
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not really. Not all OBDII scanners will read the pids from the powerstroke.

NGS, Snap-on brick (mt2500) or newer, AE, ect...

Those will read all codes and pids.
I wouldn't use it to read codes, as it doesn't even work very well to read codes in my explorer. Just more thinking that if it is an OBDII scanner, and it will hook up to the port under my dash and actually power up, would this suggest this port is OBDII compliant computer/port?

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
I wouldn't use it to read codes, as it doesn't even work very well to read codes in my explorer. Just more thinking that if it is an OBDII scanner, and it will hook up to the port under my dash and actually power up, would this suggest this port is OBDII compliant computer/port?
Yes and no again. They all had the same wiring. Pull your pcm and find out the code.

·
Construction Babysitter
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your answer the first time. Is the PCM a pain to pull on these trucks? I haven't done it yet. Had the PCM in SD out probably 50 times, but this looks like kind of a pain. Or is it just 2 bolts and it is out?

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
3 bolts. one for the harness and 2 for that little plastic thing., also unscrew the innerfender lining by the drivers door to make it easier.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You'll have to flex the liner out a ways to get the PCM out, but it is doable.

Do you come into Portland at all? I have AE and could try to read sensors on your truck to see if it is compatible. Otherwise I'll call you next time I'm on your side of the river.

·
Construction Babysitter
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Michael. I will probably get in touch with you when the time comes. I think Gordon or Steven has AE also. I am in no big hurry right now because I don't have any money anyway. I also want to talk to you some time in the future about gauges.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
I think if you have a 1994.5 with a PSD then there is a OBDII port. The PCM has to be reflashed by the dealership to enable the port. Some of the aftermarket tuners may be able to do this too.

Joey has a 1995 so his Scanguage would work without changes.

I use a section of broomstick to bend the fender liner without removing it. Cut a length that fits under the hood hinge lower edge and hitting the fenderliner just behind the PCM (allow for clearance to remove the PCM). Then gently lower the hood partway and the fenderliner bends enough to remove the PCM. No fenderscrew removal and no broomsticks broken using them as prybars.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think if you have a 1994.5 with a PSD then there is a OBDII port. The PCM has to be reflashed by the dealership to enable the port. Some of the aftermarket tuners may be able to do this too.
Exactly the case for my 94.5...the OBDII port was there but not functional, same with the AIC connector. I got the PCM reflashed and now the AIC functions properly. The OBDII port also now appears to function (though my Actron scanner won't communicate with it).

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Actron scanners and all of the other cheaper model scanners can not communicate with the PCM's in our trucks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok guys I have a 94.5 4x4 f250 and a snap on mt 2500 I have called a couple dealerships around me about reflashing the PCM from obd1 to obd 2 and they are not figuring it out am I saying the wrong thing here or are they just on dope I live in west virginia . And is there anyway I could do it my self maybe. What about with the snap on mt reprogrammable vci or RSI cartridges could I do so if I bought them or any software flash. Help if ya can I can understand code when needed to think. Lmao:doh:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts