Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Diesel Nut
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 T-Bird. The check enging light came on so I put a scanner on it and pulled 3 codes.

P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean (bank 1)
P0174 - Fuel Trim Too Lean (bank 2)
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire.

Now that I know what the codes are. What do they mean. Is there a bad fuel pump, a bad injector, bad coil? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
675 Posts
those are the same codes that come up on a 5.4 when there is a bad coil. I just went through this on my expy. I had those exact same codes but i had a p305 misfire clylinder #5. I changed the coils and plugs and it's all better now. If you had a vacuum leak you wouldnt get a misfire on a specific cylinder you would have just the p171 and p174 and probably an egr innsufficent flow code

·
blame the dog..
1,945 Posts
those are the same codes that come up on a 5.4 when there is a bad coil. I just went through this on my expy. I had those exact same codes but i had a p305 misfire clylinder #5. I changed the coils and plugs and it's all better now. If you had a vacuum leak you wouldnt get a misfire on a specific cylinder you would have just the p171 and p174 and probably an egr innsufficent flow code
yeah, could be, Rabbit...
I dunno.. seen a lot of goofy stuff on those Triton motors..

also gotta remember, the T-Birds had a different manifold setup than your garden variety Triton...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts