Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
bbteacher
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of converting my 97 f350 dually to 4x4. I recently started looking into just installing a np 205 transfer case because I have a HD 2wd tranny and would like to keep it instead of buying someone's unknown tranny and t case. I have a few questions on drive shafts though. My truck is a crew cab. I don't know where to go to buy the correct drive shafts plus the small drive shaft that connects to my transmission. Do I need to have them made? Will the np 205 yokes match up with mine? I believe that is what they are called. Sorry, I am not too familiar with transmissions and running gears. I am going to do the D60 with leaf springs setup. I used to have a 79 Cherokee Chief so this one ton is a new beast to me. I have helped my old man with the drive shafts on his Duramax and replaced those U-Joints that is about the extent I have on them.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
This is vey simple. Loose the divorced t-case Idea.
Get the needed parts to make your trans 4wd and get a 1356 or 4407 t-case. Problem solved

Also. no need to post twice

·
bbteacher
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which is more cost effective? Here in Oregon I have found np 205 transfer cases for $200 and 7.3 E40d's for 700 without the t case. I don't exactly know which one would be the best or which one is stronger. I have read that the np 205 is a stronger t case. Sorry about the double post, my post said it did not post or I was not allowed to at first to I redid it.

·
mech 1
288 Posts
I don't know that the 205 is any stronger of a case it is a gear drive case but I know guys around here that snap those with the up and torque of big block chevy or for with 44 inch tires your talking about putting 500ft pound or more of torque I haven't heard that many people having issues with the newer ford case I think you should stick to case that will fit your trans.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
To convert your E4OD to 4wd the parts would cos about $300(tail housing and output shaft)
then a 1356 or 4407 t-case is another 200
Then the driveshafts can be bought used since they are not a custom one off.

If you go divorced t-case then EVERYTHING will be custom(custom= $$$$)

·
bbteacher
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright guys, I think you have me convinced that the NP 205 is not the right way to go. I do not have the confidence in tinkering with my own trans though. I will probably just be buying one off of craigslist plus a transfer case. One time last winter I found a pair out of a 96 7.3 for 600 out here. I will keep my eye out. Plus, I can re sell my trans after I do the swap for around 500 because it is an HD. Thanks all.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
All the more reason you'd want to make your case a 4wd case. It's not rocket science man, loosen some bolts, slide the old housing off, swap your gears onto the new output shaft and gently (no shakes or bumps) slide it in place. Rebolt the new housing and t-case. Done

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you like the idea or feel more comfortable with the 205, then do it.. I dont think you would go wrong with either decision, but my money is on the 205 when it comes to strength.. I have seen to many of these behind big block powered mud trucks, and they hold up to some serious abuse.. The weakest link, is the tail shaft.. When they do break, it's 9 outa 10 times the tail shaft.. You can get an upgraded tail shaft that will cure this.. First gen dodges with the cummins ran a 205, they had this upgrade.. My 92 dodge has been tweaked, and this thing used to routinely haul heavy loads of hay,equipment and what ever else, i'am talkin 20,000lb trailers.. With over 150k on the truck, the engine and transfer case are the 2 things that havent give me an issue.. Lots of different yoke sizes for the 205 also.. Good luck whatever your choice...

·
mech 1
288 Posts
hey being original is what America is all about and if you want this 205 in your truck go for it their are pros and cons on everything.Its like have sex if it feels good how could it be wrong.weigh the two against the pros and cons and do it dont be scared this is how you learn to be great.Fear is over rated.Lessons learned the hardway sick with us longer.

·
Registered
1997 F-250 HD 7.3 PSD Auto
142 Posts
power transference is 88 % through an NP 205. It is 98% through a BW 1356.That is a huge loss to use the NP 205. hope this helps. Bill

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
interesting numbers Bill, where did you get them.
I dont believe it takes that much power to spin the idler gears and countershaft.

a np205 is a nice unit but I would never even consider using a divorced version. what vintage/application is this divorced case from? and how much is the bracketry that you would have to fab to use the ancient case?

a ford np205 is a bolt up deal to the transmissions other then some clearancing for the shiftrail.
is it an improvement over these huge chaindrive cases? hard call. if anyone proves that it is I will swap to one as I have at least 3 ford np205s here and a NWF Blackbox to aid in the gear ratio.

I do not think there is any gain in a truck like these to have a 2.72 vs 1.96 low range

·
Registered
1997 F-250 HD 7.3 PSD Auto
142 Posts
Imfo. came from ford factory rep. I bought an 1980 f 150 4x4 351 auto.When I picked it up the rep. was there at Wilson ford. I asked him why the alumn. transfer case he said for power and mileage then gave me the figures. I don`t know how good the figures are but the pickup did get a little better mileage than my 1978 f 150 351 auto. Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts