Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i was changing out my valve springs and had a long screw driver through the glow plug hole to make sure the piston was top dead center. I pulled the screw driver out after a while of cranking the motor over by hand and the tip was broke off. I dont know how this exactly happened or if the screw driver was broke before but i am 95% sure the screw driver was fine. Is there a way to see or does anyone make a magnet small enough to get through the gp hole? Any input would be great im in a real bind now. Thanks

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
hmm sounds like some heads are coming off!

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Start with 1 beer, chase with whiskey. If that doesn't help, repeat. Sorry brah, that's the best advice I have. Try the magnet thing hell open the intake plenum and intake valve and see if you can blow it out with compressed air!.. If not... Beer then whiskey.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya this blows i just dont see how it could get wedged hard enough to snap it right off. Where can i get a tiny magnet from?

·
Davey B
930 Posts
You could try an auto parts store for the magnet. Otherwise i'd go with Joe's solution, you may have to repeat a few times though. Good luck

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
Any of those tiny little magnets you see at the counter of a parts store should do the trick if it's actually in there.

That sucks. Your screwdrivers must be REAL cheap cause I can't think of any type of way you could wedge it in there that hard and still turn the motor over by hand.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it wasnt mine and it was a mack and ya that what i was thinking. so your saying take off the intake plenum and and blow it through the gp hole n out the plenum??

·
Registered
445 Posts
do you know what hole? you can always pull the injector and using a borscope you should see in and find it. also there is a bigger hole through the injector port to send in a magnet. Yes there are small magnets. see Snap-on or Mac tools or magnetize a piece of steel and send it down. also many small screwdrivers or metal scibers or screw bit drivers can be found with magnetic tips.DO NOT LOSE THESE ALSO. one way to not lose these is to attach them to a small piece of tubing with crazy glue and try fishing. also pull the injector and using shop compressed air blow in the hole to move the broken piece around then fish......move piece, fish etc..... with patience you will be rewarded.
good luck. i know removing injectors is alot more work than expected but it easier than the head. and if you do the injector and still believe somthing is still in there you can still remove the head.
please find the correct way to remove injectors and properly remove coolant, fuel,and oil from cylinder or you can do more damage.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya thats a good idea and yes it was the first one i tried. and ya the injector nozzle is bigger than the tip of the gp so i might try that. Thanks, alot guys these are some good ideas.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
From now on, use a piece of coat hanger. They are soft enough that they will bend.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya that makes sense....

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
You can't use a scope through the GP hole????

And yes, pull the plenum, make sure the int valve is full open. May take hours off your weekend but it's better than the alterantive.

FWIW I doubt you broke the SD in the GP hole, that would be odd since it should have just pushed it out. Not saying it couldn't happen, but if it did stay indoors for the weekend. Get a scope and find do some searching.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya i dont see how it happened, but either way its getting some time devoted to it tomorrow. So a scope will or will not work?

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you have a magnet strong enough you can cut off a piece of coat hanger and wind it around the magnet a few times after you get the paint off and the magnetic field should run through the end of the coat hanger, hopefully enough to pick up a little piece of screwdriver head.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If you have a magnet strong enough you can cut off a piece of coat hanger and wind it around the magnet a few times after you get the paint off and the magnetic field should run through the end of the coat hanger, hopefully enough to pick up a little piece of screwdriver head.
Best idea yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.