Discussion Starter #1
tonight was the 2nd time i have noticed this weird thing happening
i tested D2 in my viscup,it times out at 1:03

so i start a batch 3 gallons of virgin ATF
25-27 gal WMO
i then added 10 gal of RUG
i then tested with viscup,timed out at 1:19
so i added 5 more gal of RUG
tested again with viscup,now it timed out at 1:27 wtf ??
i add rug and it gets slower ??
so i added another 5 gal of RUG,now im up to 20 gal of RUG
and it still times out at 1:19

i cant figure out whats happening here
anyone know ??

·
Banned
493 Posts
You are probably using the wring viscup. To test oils you need a #2 viscup. To test fuels you need a #0 viscup.

·
utah get me two
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isnt WMO mixed with RUG fuel ?? dont i want to use #0 ??
smallest drill bit i could get is 1.59mm

·
utah get me two
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps you need to look at other issues in making your own viscup
your replys are growing short,am i wearing you down ??
im actually steimied.dont know what i dont know here.

im begginging to think the physical weight of wmo blend is different
than that of D2,therefore they wont flow the same speed

im lost :(

·
Banned
493 Posts
I noticed that when I used a viscup #1 to test my fuel samples that the numbers were random. When I acquired a #0 I got repeatable and reliable data. So, maybe your orifice is to large, or your cup is too small or large, or something.

·
utah get me two
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i got it figured out
when i add rug,i use a paddel mixer on my drill,to blend/mix
i think there was alot of particulate floating in the dirty oil
couldnt see it,but i suspected it was there.

so i checked it again 3 days later with the same viscup
and now the times match 1:05 for D2 and 1:07 for my blend
i figure thats close enoughf,but i been wrong before lol

·
Banned
493 Posts
OK, yes, particles in the fluid are going to cause inacuracies in your measurements. Note: agitation is not required when blending gasoline with any waste oil. The solution will be uniform in about 1 minute after introducing the gasoline. So, add the gasoline at 20%, then wait 2 or more days, then check the viscosity. If your blend still needs more gasoline, then add it, and give it an hour before taking another measurement.

·
utah get me two
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, yes, particles in the fluid are going to cause inacuracies in your measurements. Note: agitation is not required when blending gasoline with any waste oil. The solution will be uniform in about 1 minute after introducing the gasoline. So, add the gasoline at 20%, then wait 2 or more days, then check the viscosity. If your blend still needs more gasoline, then add it, and give it an hour before taking another measurement.
im having a hard time understanding that jeff,how is it possable that i dont have to mix it,wont the gas just go right to the bottom ???

and i also have a second question:
this batch had 3 gal of virgin ATF and approx 25 gal wmo
i had to add 20 gal rug.

20 gal of rug is almost 50% ever had to add that much ??
it seems to run the same as usual tho

david

·
Banned
493 Posts
im having a hard time understanding that jeff,how is it possable that i dont have to mix it,wont the gas just go right to the bottom ???
Well, try the blending experiment with new oil in a clear glass jar, as I have done. You will see that the two fluids (gas and oil) blend into each other readily without agitation. So, why agitate your blend?

and i also have a second question:
this batch had 3 gal of virgin ATF and approx 25 gal wmo
i had to add 20 gal rug.

20 gal of rug is almost 50% ever had to add that much ??
it seems to run the same as usual tho

david
Well, my experiments with testing blends a hydrometer and a viscup has shown that a blend of 50% 10-40 motor oil (or canola oil) blended with gasoline at 50% matches closest to the specific gravity and viscosity of diesel fuel. It suggests that we should all be blending at 50%. On the other hand people have been successfully blending gasoline at 15-30% with waste oils for years. So, I believe this shows there is a broad range of viscosity that will run fine on a diesel engine.

·
utah get me two
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, try the blending experiment with new oil in a clear glass jar, as I have done. You will see that the two fluids (gas and oil) blend into each other readily without agitation. So, why agitate your blend?
ok i will try it,good idea,thanks
Well, my experiments with testing blends a hydrometer and a viscup has shown that a blend of 50% 10-40 motor oil (or canola oil) blended with gasoline at 50% matches closest to the specific gravity and viscosity of diesel fuel. It suggests that we should all be blending at 50%. On the other hand people have been successfully blending gasoline at 15-30% with waste oils for years. So, I believe this shows there is a broad range of viscosity that will run fine on a diesel engine.
wow ok,i didnt know that
i was under the impression that 15% was the sweet spot
but you are right the viscup told me to add more gas.

the only thing that bothers me when it;s that thin is
it dosent seem to have any lubricity(using the fingertip feeler gague,lol)
it just it just dosent feel slippery enoughf.
it dosent feel as slippery as D2.

anyway thank as allways for the good info,i appricate it :)
david

·
Banned
493 Posts
wow ok,i didnt know that
i was under the impression that 15% was the sweet spot
but you are right the viscup told me to add more gas.
15% was Doug Miller's idea, and he would not entertain any other blend ratio. 15% was always inadequate for my engine. 20% worked pretty good, but I have been planning on running more gasoline in my blends, because the few times I did it, the engine ran much better.

the only thing that bothers me when it;s that thin is
it dosent seem to have any lubricity(using the fingertip feeler gague,lol)
it just it just dosent feel slippery enoughf.
it dosent feel as slippery as D2.

anyway thank as allways for the good info,i appricate it :)
david
Yes, I have been looking for a lubricity gauge, but they are not common, or cheap, so I am with your fingertip feeler gauge. If 50% does not feel as slippery as D2, then don't run it. BUt, maybe find a blend ratio that you think is as slippery and let us know.

·
utah get me two
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im notecing something elae weird.
when im pumping from my mixing barrel through my filters and into my 5 gal cans.
it seems like the last 15 gallons are of a different consistancy and color
it;s thinner and can be seen through(see through)

i cant believe i have that much water,i moniter what i pick up
it almost seems that theres some kind of seperation going on
it dosent look,smeal or feel right,,hummm ??

·
Banned
493 Posts
Blenders tend to find that bending gasoline with waste oils produces precipitates. Those precipitates tend to be: water, free-carbon and lacquer. Water tends to come out clear. If you have an amber colored liquid it might be fuel. So, you may want to extract a sample of it to examine it closer to see if it is thinned oil, which means its fuel, or if it is water. A hydrometer might be useful for understanding what that amber liquid is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts