Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so this question may end up having a few questions associated with it.
why when b code injectors are available for the same price if not less would more people not go for them instead of say an "A" code hybrid? is it because too much oil is used with the "B" codes or nozzle size? how much fuel does each of these injectors flow? and lastly the "B" code will have BN, BI or BJ as the prefix, the second letter is the nozzle size right? and if so what are said nozzle sizes? the higher the letter in the alphabet, does that mean the bigger the nozzle?

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Injector Info - Powerstroke Nation

I went with the Hybrids for their versatile capabilities. They are good to tow with, as well as some drag racing fun. I've never owned B codes, so I really can't comment. But I hear you can lay down some wicked power with them.

Im getting decent fuel economy with the Hybrids.

I did not want B codes because of them requiring Big Oil.

B-codes or Bigger Hybrids - Powerstroke Nation

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I think for many at lower levels its not needing big oil and for those at the very top hybrids will supposedly flow more.

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
the second letter is nothing to do w/ the nozzle. also b's technically need different nozzles cause they have 5 holes vs. 7 for the a's.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
For the general person hybrids will flat out perform better across the board. In competition use hybrids do deliver a higher rate of fuel per time all while using less oil per time. B-codes can perform well but hybrids are a better choice for $ spent per HP.

You would need a B-code injector that is a single shot (BDs for example).

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
I've ran both and both are excellent.

If I was buying new I'd buy Hybrids but if I was buying something used I'd happily take whichever ones I got a deal on. Both work very well.

B-codes always require Big Oil.
Hybrids will not require BO if they are kept pretty small both in terms of nozzle size and overall capacity. Like Mini-Me's. 80% nozzle or larger in a hybrid will need Big Oil to run right. I've ran big B-codes on a single little 15 degree pump and it ran quite fine actually, just slower than it needed to be. Actually held 2200 psi.

Both injector types will need new nozzles. The hybrids will have a stock 7.3 7 hole nozzle that is way too small.
The B-codes will have a larger 5 hole nozzle designed for the I-6 IH engine. Running stock nozzles the B-codes would kill the Hybrids.

B-codes come in lots of configurations related to nozzles and other characteristics. BD's are the easiest to machine and make larger and they are already single shot. BI's are larger displacement but are splits so require more work to make right. All need new nozzles however.

B-codes have more snap down low and thru the midrange as they have a better theoretical Injection Ratio. Hybrids can simply get more fuel out up top as the internal flow restrictions of these injectors comes into play. W/ even a large 200% nozzle the difference is miniscule. The problem w/ B-codes is simply that for every 1cc of #2 you flow, you have to flow 6x that amount in Delo. And Delo doesn't like to flow. W/ Hybrids you are only flowing 5x that amount which lessens those internal flow problems.

Converted injectors will flow a certain amount but most get machined to flow more than enough anyways.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the responses guys, those were the answers i was looking for. much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts