Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i work on the 6.0s alot at work but mine is seeming to stump me a little. i have two codes, one is "turbo underboost and the other is exhaust back pressure low" i unplugged the VGT wires to the turbo and it changed the tone of the truck so im assuming that the vanes are moving, and you can hear them changing at idle but sometimes i will start the truck and i wont hear anything but a moderate grow( not like when you unplug the VGT wires) but every once in a while the truck will start to skip and buck and blow smoke like its choking. it always been dark so i cant tell the color of the smoke but as soon as it happens and i hit the throttle it clears up and will run fine. im also getting a code for that stupid EGR throttle butterfly that wasnt installed on the 05 trucks.( that has only been coming up since i borrowed a buddys bully dog triple dog) i dont really want to just start replacing things and our ford IDS scan tool hasnt arrived at work yet so im still SOL for a week or so.....do i take the turbo apart and clean it? do i check my EBP tube for blockage and replace the sensor? kinda lost....any input would be great!( i did use the search bar but didnt find much)

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
you need IDS... Let me know when you get it. Ill walk you through it on how to dio everything

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,329 Posts
Doesn't hurt to pull the EBP and clean the tube in the mean-time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok a friend of mine has IDS im going to try and shoot over their on lunch and see what i can find. on my way to work this morning doing 70mph down the highway with the cruise control on i could hearthe vanes in the turbo acting up and the rpm staying the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hooked the truck up to the IDS today, EBP_A was 6.5psi...pulled the sensor off clothes hanger to clean the the out because i didn't want to break the fitting off the manifold and used mass air cleaner on the sensor. seens to be ok. also pulled the EGR valve and cleaned that too without getting any brakeleen in the "weep" holes. the IDS showed it was stuck and not communicating during the self test. i plan on deleting that waste of metal but dont want to go through the hassle of doing all the work when in march i plan on pulling the motor out. so i figured id clean it and see if it helps. i only drove the truck about a mile and a half. tomorrow illl be putting about 100-125 miles on it so ill see what happens.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,329 Posts
FYI - carb cleaner is recommended and brake cleaner should be avoided. Sometimes the cleaner can "wick" up the shaft and contact the seals. Brake cleaner will ruin the seals.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
BG makes an even better carbon cleaner that recommened just for EGR valve on these...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awesome thanks, put 130 miles on it and no underboost codes, or EBP codes...but the alternator did crap out about 100 miles into the trip and i chanced it and drove it home:doh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts