Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a ‘06 6.0, blew the trans last weekend and got the new one put in earlier this week all went well no issues got everything good to go went to start the truck and it’s a crank no start, after digging into it I was able to figure out that it’s not building enough high pressure oil, thinking it’s just a coincidence that it happened right after the trans install but figured I’d add that just in case, after cranking for 45 seconds to a minute it will build the 500 psi it needs run for 2-3 seconds then die, so I did some digging and replaced Ipr and icp both with new pigtails and I put 150 psi of shop air through the system with no notable leaks, Ipr duty cycle show 14% ignition on and 66-85% cranking, stc fitting has been updated, I’m stumped as to how something like this could happen over night, truck ran fine after the trans blew, if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you do the air test with the valve covers off, and if you are not using the test fitting that goes in place of the IPR you will need to supply 12v to the IPR valve to close off the return.
Please use caution when supplying 12v to the IPR. Only do so for very short periods of time. Maybe a minute or less. Leaving power to the IPR for any longer can damage it.
Also check to make sure it is making base oil pressure. Check out DIESEL TECH RON on youtube. He has a video about checking for base oil pressure along with lots of others.

There are several other components in the high pressure system that can cause this problem.
Stand pipes and dummy plugs
Oil rail nipple cup o-rings
Oil inlet o-ring on top of injector.
Bad hpop

How many miles on the truck?
Truck has 184k on it, we manually commanded the Ipr closed when we tested the system, valve covers where on, we pressure tested before the new Ipr and I dont think I cranked on it long enough to get all the air out of the system, last night I tried at it some more and got it to idle well but shut it off after 10-15 seconds because it puked a few quarts of oil on the ground, after further looking into it I noticed when I put the turbo back on the drain tube wasted seated all the way 🤦‍♂️ So I’ve got the turbo off again going to get it all back together correctly and see what happens, appreciate the response

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if you tested it with the IPR in, and commanded it closed, then the leak could be a stuck open IPR valve.
It tested good I couldn’t hear any leaks anywhere, I think the old Ipr was stuck open and after I put the new one in I pressure tested the system and I think it just got air locked because like I said it started last night and helled good oil pressure at idle just the drain tube on turbo leaked bad just got that fixed letting batts charge atm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts