Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back a couple days ago, from up in Pennsylvania, deleware, etc. And my truck is covered in salt. I'm going to out it up on a drive on lift, and use my hot water pressure washer to clean it. I plan on dropping the spare tore and getting inside all the frame rails, cross members and what not. My truck has zero rust on it and I plan to keep it that way. Do any of you have any secrets, cleaner wise that yall use? Or will hot water be the best method? I plan to his the frame rails and axles etc. With a rust inhibiting primer, and a good paint of some sort az well. I've got what looks like very light surface rust on the frame rails now from the sale sitting on them, I'd figure maybe just electrolysis? It's a greenish color and I can scrape it off with a finger nail.

Any pointers anybody can give me would be great! I can hear her screaming sitting in the driveway lol.

Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You got the right idea, wash the piss out of it like you said. I don't know about all that other BS your talking about, it is a truck is it not...lol

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's a truck...one with a quarter million miles on it that shows and drives like a 50k mile truck. There's no eating allowed in it, I don't "work" it persay, any type of load it ever sees is on a trailer. It's just a dd/heavy tow pig. My goal is 500k miles, in the same condition it's in now. :)

·
No 6.0
625 Posts
Your truck saw salt once.. rinse it off and be done with it.

·
WOOOOO!!!!!
1,655 Posts
My truck sees salt all winter long, just wash it off once every week or so and you'll be fine.

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
More power to you for doing the work needed to keep your truck in excellent condition. Hot water with a mild soap will be fine. They salt the hell out of the roads by me... it sucks bad.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
theres some soap i get thats supposed to nuetralize salt,i cant remember what its called but ill try and look tomorow.

·
fueler4506
17 Posts
you got the right idea to wash her down with hot water. i wouldnt be horribly concerned with the truck rusting from a short time like that in the salt though. sheet metal is alot better nowdays about rusting than it was compared to the 73-87 chevy's. give her a wash and thatll do her.

·
Registered
615 Posts
you got the right idea to wash her down with hot water. i wouldnt be horribly concerned with the truck rusting from a short time like that in the salt though. sheet metal is alot better nowdays about rusting than it was compared to the 73-87 chevy's. give her a wash and thatll do her.
I must of missed that memo :poke:

·
Registered
615 Posts
btw that truck above's an 02 with 125K on it.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
ha ha dont be so worried about a little salt.. come up north where the water tables are Fk'd because of the amount of salt on the Roads...

i wouldnt pressure wash hot on the paint.. but no problem on the frame... then use some oil if you dont have time to paint it.

everyone thinks my trucks new paints good little rust, but it's an 02 with 170K miles

hopefully though this summer ill get around to sand blasting the frame, priming, painting, and then moving onto doing body pannels more then what i have already. i love my truck, i can fix it for a months payment on a new one. LOL

I

·
0 Posts
If you where to see my truck right now you would be sick..LOL I wash it once a week but it's hard to keep it clean up here.. Just spray it down with soap and water as said..

·
Registered
62 Posts
im from pa and i have a guy that bring his plow truck into the garage i work at and his truck is rust free and its 6 years old he says he hot water pressure washes it a couple times a winter and them sprays the underneath with cheap vegetable oil

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just wash it with your pressure washer and some soap(average car wash should be fine). Don't worry about oiling or painting under the truck unless the salt somehow already ate through your paint which I highly doubt. You weren't around the salt long enough for it to do much. Like rob said you were no where near the salt, I looked at my friend's dark blue maxima the other day and thought he got it painted white. That was until I got closer and saw that it had a 1/4 of salt all over it.

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine has about an 1/8th of an inch or salt/kindle/etc that pa puts on their roads. I still haven't got a chance to wash it. I wasn't gonna bother with oil, but I was gonna paint bc the frame rail that's exposed and axles look aged...not rusted but they just look old. I wanna keep it fresh and clean looking.

I appreciate the advice...I def feel a little better knowing it's not gonnna start rotting after one good exposure to it lol.

·
Catskill MTNs. NY
7 Posts
Just a trick an old timer gave me twenty or so years age, In the fall of the year before they start droping the salt mixed with calcium chlorde, spray crown oil everywhere you can and while its still wet find a dusty road and drive. The crown oil creeps in deep and in the spring wash it off. Been doing it for years on everything i own that hits salt even my work tractor and the frame rails look like new with a million and a half miles on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine has about an 1/8th of an inch or salt/kindle/etc that pa puts on their roads. I still haven't got a chance to wash it. I wasn't gonna bother with oil, but I was gonna paint bc the frame rail that's exposed and axles look aged...not rusted but they just look old. I wanna keep it fresh and clean looking.

I appreciate the advice...I def feel a little better knowing it's not gonnna start rotting after one good exposure to it lol.
I wish i could be as anal as you are sir.i drive my fathers f-150 almost weekly as i was saving for my new truck(97 f-250 gasser) and between me and him going back and forth to work its easily seeing 350 miles a week in sat covered roads,i wash it about once every 2-3 weeks.and theres still no rust on it.i wish i could move to where there is no snow/ice/salt but then i'll miss all te good fishing and chasing hardwoods whitetail deer hunting:evil

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I just got back a couple days ago, from up in Pennsylvania, deleware, etc. And my truck is covered in salt. I'm going to out it up on a drive on lift, and use my hot water pressure washer to clean it. I plan on dropping the spare tore and getting inside all the frame rails, cross members and what not. My truck has zero rust on it and I plan to keep it that way. Do any of you have any secrets, cleaner wise that yall use? Or will hot water be the best method? I plan to his the frame rails and axles etc. With a rust inhibiting primer, and a good paint of some sort az well. I've got what looks like very light surface rust on the frame rails now from the sale sitting on them, I'd figure maybe just electrolysis? It's a greenish color and I can scrape it off with a finger nail.

Any pointers anybody can give me would be great! I can hear her screaming sitting in the driveway lol.

Thanks.
New Jersey here...i have ocd i think when it comes to my truck...as far as cleaning the under side of the truck, heres what i do, and so far the underside looks as good as it did the day i bought it although it will take some time.....first i start with some simple green and spray the entire underside of the truck, ussually go through about 2 bottles worth...let it sit for 15-20 min...powerwash the hole underside down get it nice and clean gets ride of all the contaminant, grease, road grime, ect. Let it dry over night. Next is the time consuming part...i used P.O.R. 15 black on the underside of my truck, axels, drive shaft, ect. This is a rust protectant paint, almost like a powder coating, but even if you have rust on the truck, this is suppose to seal the rust spots and stop it from spreading. Il be honest the more patients and care you have when doing the paint work, the better it comes out...it took me about 2 days to do my entire truck and was well worth it...3 years later it still looks great. Now in the winter months when i drive the truck and it gets salty underneath i get my simple green out spray it down, powerwash it off and good to go. No rust no problems....during the truck shows, i take some tire shine foam, spray it on the underneath and she shines like show quality......hope this helps you out...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I must of missed that memo :poke:

HA! You should see mine. I'd be ashamed to post a picture of the undercarrage. Let's put it this way, in the spring it's getting 2 new doors, 2 cab corners, 2 rockers, 2 fenders.
New England's Salt: 1
My truck: 0

·
Registered
94 Posts
New Jersey here...i have ocd i think when it comes to my truck...as far as cleaning the under side of the truck, heres what i do, and so far the underside looks as good as it did the day i bought it although it will take some time.....first i start with some simple green and spray the entire underside of the truck, ussually go through about 2 bottles worth...let it sit for 15-20 min...powerwash the hole underside down get it nice and clean gets ride of all the contaminant, grease, road grime, ect. Let it dry over night. Next is the time consuming part...i used P.O.R. 15 black on the underside of my truck, axels, drive shaft, ect. This is a rust protectant paint, almost like a powder coating, but even if you have rust on the truck, this is suppose to seal the rust spots and stop it from spreading. Il be honest the more patients and care you have when doing the paint work, the better it comes out...it took me about 2 days to do my entire truck and was well worth it...3 years later it still looks great. Now in the winter months when i drive the truck and it gets salty underneath i get my simple green out spray it down, powerwash it off and good to go. No rust no problems....during the truck shows, i take some tire shine foam, spray it on the underneath and she shines like show quality......hope this helps you out...
Tat P.O.R. 15 is great stuff. I used it on the frame of my old 78 F700 dump/plow truck The rails looked great after and stopped all the rust. I've been wanting to do my 350 with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts