Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an H&S recently and am monitoring my boost, oil temp, coolant temp, and trans temp.

I've had my oil cooler go out before, So I am kinda worried its working and the death my truck could experience

anyways, once its warmed up I usually see 10 degrees higher than the coolant and the coolant is usually at around 190 however I have seen the oil temp up to 20 over the coolant if I recall correctly.

But it fluctuates from, ... probably 190 to 204 normally. But if I'm pulling it will go higher. I'm only worried because its winter here and once summer comes and it's 100 out I'd guess temps will go up.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Around 202-204 is where mine runs while towing in the summer heat. A few degrees higher if really stressed on a long pull.
Switch to Synthetic oil if temps worry you. With Syn, you don't ever have to worry about oil temps again.

·
Shadetree
84 Posts
If you have over a 15 degree split with oil temp higher you have a plugged oil cooler. on 6.0 any time you do an oil cooler its always good to flush the coolant with iron cleaner and get a coolant filter shouldn have any more problems

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you two talking about the 6.7 or the 6.0? I presume their cooling systems are different and so I dont think the "split" idea would work but I'm sure ford wants to keep them aorund the same temps

Both have ... well the 6.7 got a new oil cooler at like.. 50000 now at 120,000and the 6.0 presumably had one before I bought it like 6000 ago.

george I'd switch to synthetic but it seems like I have to get my oil changed so often it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well, if you are running under 210, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I don't think I've ever seen higher than 207, but I don't live in the south where it's hot..
I don't think you need to worry until you start getting into the high teens.
I remember Matt from Spartan talking about oil. If I remember right, he was saying that the problems start in the mid to high twenties, and when you get into the thirties to just floor it because it's going to come apart anyway.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha k I brought this up because my 6.0 drives fine unless I have it floored going up a large hill with lots of weight, at which time it goes into limp mode I thought it was because of turbo overboost from an egr valve or something (which has already gone wrong on it and fixed) so I was just going to do an egr delete (still have planned but not a priority as its a back up truck)

But someone on here mentioned that it might be oil temp. So I bought a scanguage II and have that all set up in there, just need to recreate the problem some day to see what its reading. If I even can recreate it when it's 0 outside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine will hit 240+ on long climbs in the summer pulling close to 15K. Have saw others who see the same temps. Took to dealer, tech checked and said no problem, designed to run that temp.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:O

GEORGE WERE U ####IN WITH ME!?? haha

I hope I dont see those temps but I could see it, mine breaks 200 just driving down the road in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
674 Posts
No, I don't BS anyone Jake..
I live outside of Buffalo NY, which might explain cooler temps. I use a MSD Dashhawk to get my oil temps.
But, I NEVER see oil over 210. If someone is showing 240, then their gauge is way off or something has changed between the 6.4L and the 6.7L.
I never see oil outpacing coolant temps unless the 6.7l relies more on the oil to cool.

Like I said before, Matt from Spartan had a nice write up posted a few years back on oil temps. According to Matt, if your oil exceeds 230, you might as well mash it because she's coming apart soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question. I was towing my 28ft trailer this weekend and was losing power in the pass. My engine oil temp was reaching 275 degrees. The truck felt like it was in limp mode. I would make it over the pass at 35 mphs then full power again. No codes. any idea what it could be?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts