Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What EGTs do you guys see at 45mph on flat ground, unlaoded and at 55mph on flat ground unloaded?
Air temp 50 degrees.
Whats normal EGTs unloaded?

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see 600 at 45mph and 500 at 55mph.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Like the others said, around 500-600 would be normal at those speeds.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I would have to check later but i think mine are probably around 600 if the motor is lugging in OD, maybe 400 if its running higher RPM out of OD. (that speed is around where my truck shifts)

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
What EGTs do you guys see at 45mph on flat ground, unlaoded and at 55mph on flat ground unloaded?
Air temp 50 degrees.
Whats normal EGTs unloaded?
Altitude will effect that more then ambient air temps...

Normal for a truck with stock tires, and such will be between 500-700*.

I see 600 at 45mph and 500 at 55mph.
Sounds completely normal for a pre-turbo pyro.

Compared to everyone else, mine are rather low. At 55 on flat ground I'm between 400-500
Are you running a pre-turbo pyro or post turbo?

I would have to check later but i think mine are probably around 600 if the motor is lugging in OD, maybe 400 if its running higher RPM out of OD. (that speed is around where my truck shifts)
I'd be really surprised if you were down at 400*, thats really too low for proper combustion and power.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I can agree with that, and now that I think of it, it is probably closer to 500. but that is also with the truck in 3rd gear and almost no throttle input to keep it moving at that speed. 55 is not really a comfortable speed for my truck, too slow to really spool the turbo in OD, and moves effortlessly in 3rd. Does that make any sense?

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw 950 today climbing a hill. That just seems really high for an unloaded not towing anything temp. I am at 3,000ft elevation, i think i would hit 1250 easily pulling my Jeep or my Muscle car, unless i am just lost on how the engine reacts pulling temp wise.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts

Pulling my RV...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I would say that is still fine. The temps might climb quick at first, but unless you have a chip dumping tons of fuel with no safeties, they do stop rising once they get up above 1000. I understand your concern, but I think you are over thinking it.

Besides, I think it was CSIPSD who mentioned that its not so much about momentary temps reaching the suggested peak of 1250, its the time they spend there. A quick flash of a few minutes will not harm anything, but a drive for hours at 1100 with some peaks at 1250 or more will cause damage. Its all about the engine absorbing the heat, or blowing it out the exhaust.

Someone correct me if Im wrong

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I would say that is still fine. The temps might climb quick at first, but unless you have a chip dumping tons of fuel with no safeties, they do stop rising once they get up above 1000. I understand your concern, but I think you are over thinking it.

Besides, I think it was CSIPSD who mentioned that its not so much about momentary temps reaching the suggested peak of 1250, its the time they spend there. A quick flash of a few minutes will not harm anything, but a drive for hours at 1100 with some peaks at 1250 or more will cause damage. Its all about the engine absorbing the heat, or blowing it out the exhaust.

Someone correct me if Im wrong
before my truck was Intercooled I would run 1200 consistently at 65-70 with no issues

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
And what does it run now? Just to see what a difference it makes.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
900-100 . The ic helped alot. But I have a different turbo to

·
Registered
245 Posts
About 600-700

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've noticed lower EGTs on flat ground with warmer air temps but in Race tune on my chip.

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
double post

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.