Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I am completlty ignorant when it comes to oilburners but I am mechanicly competant and tring to learn. I have been lurking for a while reading up on 6.9/7.3 IDI engines because I wanted to avoid any electronics and stick strictly with manual hubs, manual tranny, roll up windows, etc and a mechanical injectors.

It is proving harder than I thought to find that kind of truck in decient condition. What kind of issues should I look for in early powerstrokes? how much electronic crap is actually on them? and how big of a PITA are they?

Thanks

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Yes the idi engines were all mechanical engines. The OBS power stroke engines use an injector that is fired by a electronic signal. Electronics control the high pressure oil pump that pushes the fuel out of the injector and out the nozzle. You have a PCM computer that runs the whole engine. Guess it's personal preference when it comes to how you want your engine to be ran. The newer models have more emission that can be a problem. EGR valve, variable geometry turbos, and trying to get as much power out of a smaller sized engine that can lead to blowin head gaskets, stopped up exhaust filters, and so on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I want an IDI truck but it is proving harder than I thought to find one in good condition.

I am entertaining the idea of a powerstroke truck but don't care for all the electronics, I was just wondering if there was any issues in particular that I should look out for. how "durable" is the computer junk?

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
Yes I want an IDI truck but it is proving harder than I thought to find one in good condition.

I am entertaining the idea of a powerstroke truck but don't care for all the electronics, I was just wondering if there was any issues in particular that I should look out for. how "durable" is the computer junk?
ive got one that is in awesome shape, needs the block punched .020" and new pistons and injectors and u got a fresh motor, or u could buy a reman

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
honestly I think you would be better off with a powerstroke.

durable.......I know one guy on here has jumped his SD before......

honestly I havent had any problems as far as not being durabe

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
i beat the piss outa my moms 01' when she had it, i honestly dont think u can kill the pickup itself lack or rolling it over of flipping it, the motor just takes patience, time, and a maticulous owner, and they run strong for miles and miles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts