Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 05 6.0 it’s bone stock besides 4 inch straight pipe and egr delete and blue spring kit. I want to put a non vgt turbo on around 62mm which I think is factory size but I could be wrong but don’t know anything about them and with it being stock not sure if it’s a good idea. I pull a gooseneck trailer often.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 05 6.0 it’s bone stock besides 4 inch straight pipe and egr delete and blue spring kit. I want to put a non vgt turbo on around 62mm which I think is factory size but I could be wrong but don’t know anything about them and with it being stock not sure if it’s a good idea. I pull a gooseneck trailer often.
Leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
For a mainly stock vehicle, most folks would prefer to stick with the stock turbo. It provides benefits throughout the RPM range compared to a non-VGT. The only thing you have to do is keep that sucker clean. The usual way is to disassemble it, clean it, reassemble with some high temp anti-seize on the unison ring and vanes, and then make sure you regularly run it through its paces....meaning give it the pedal now and then to make the vanes cycle through their full range of motion. If you're finding you lack some low end power, that's normal because it's a diesel with a turbo. However, many folks find a FICM tune from PHP helps with that. I wouldn't go more than the 40 HP tune since you don't have studded heads though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a mainly stock vehicle, most folks would prefer to stick with the stock turbo. It provides benefits throughout the RPM range compared to a non-VGT. The only thing you have to do is keep that sucker clean. The usual way is to disassemble it, clean it, reassemble with some high temp anti-seize on the unison ring and vanes, and then make sure you regularly run it through its paces....meaning give it the pedal now and then to make the vanes cycle through their full range of motion. If you're finding you lack some low end power, that's normal because it's a diesel with a turbo. However, many folks find a FICM tune from PHP helps with that. I wouldn't go more than the 40 HP tune since you don't have studded heads though.
Thanks for the feed back!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts