Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'07 450 work truck 6.0 96K miles on it, runs great but I've noticed the last few days that when sitting at a stop light idling, that I heard a humming sound inside the cab. Found that the humming sound is coming from the lift pump on the left side frame rail. Would this be an indication that the pump is headed south? I need this truck on the road in a bad way. Is it too much trouble to change out the pump? Thanks!

·
Registered
853 Posts
pump being loud could be the pump itself or a restriction between the pump and tank.change the filters and see if there is any change.. also look for small gray flakes in the housing with the filter removed. the 450's with the after axle tanks have been known to "delaminate" stopping up the sock in the tank and posssibly getting in the pump housing..

you can get the whole housing, which includes the pump and filter and wif sensor and whatnot..its three 13mm nuts on the frame, four lines(2 squeeze connect fittings and 2 of the snap connect fittings that you need the tool for) and two or three electrical connections..you can also get just the pump to install in the housing, which could be done in the frame,but its more easy to take the whole housing out to change out the pump..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I ended up just changing out the pump. It was a piece of cake with the correct line disconnect tools. I'll keep an eye out for foreign debris in the filters. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts