Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When making turns i seem to be having a slight inconsistant squealing squeaking noise, that kinda sounds like the breaks, but it does not do it when i am breaking.It doesnt seem to make the proper howling noise that people describe when the unit bearings are going out. I have not had a chance to take the wheel off since this started, but i know that i have enough brake pads from when i had them off about a month ago. I will take them off sunday and have a look.

Any Ideas? What should i look/listen for?

Thanks

-Chris

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Could be enough slack in the wheel bearing assy to let the rotor rock over and touch the pad when turning? Usually this will throw an ABS light.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it sounds just like the brakes, or a bearing or something, a very metalic squealig noise. I was kinda feeling like somthing in the brakes was causing it, like a seperated pad or something. I just didnt know if this sound was a more obvious common occurance or something, I dont really know what the unit bearings start doing when there going bad, but from what i have read it doesnt sound like its the problem. I just dont wanna go replacing stuff thats not bad.

Thanks

-Chris

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, i got the wheel off, and i don't see anything that could really be a causing this except the fact that the brake rotor appears to be warped some, becuase half of the rotor is scared worse than the other half. (you can't get a finger nail on them, just visible) besides that there is plenty of pads, and everything on there is tight.

So what could be causing this? Its a chirping squealing sound when taking corners, it doesnt matter what the speed.. I'm lost.

-Chris

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, im not positive its not the brakes, but i took the pads out ground them down some, Cleaned and lubed the caipers, and rotor. Put on some orange squeak stop stuff, And bolted everything back on. The squeak is still there. Its not really there on sharp turns. i.e. jerking the wheel, but the long slow turns that seems to make it squeal.

I jerked the front end around and even took it to a local shop and they looked at it, without taking the wheels off, just the suspension, and he didnt seem to think that there was any thing wrong with the bearings or the front suspension. I dont know....

-Chris

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
F-it i'm just going to order up some new units tomorrow, left and right, and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll just order new rotors and pads. I hate this ####,

opening up the "special" ford toolbox. My wallet, just stand back and throw money at it. Calling bob at powerstrokeshop

That was my lift and shoes money...

Well anyways.. Thanks for your help

-Chris

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
check you brake pad slide shims that are on the caliper cage ive seen them cock and only touch the rotor when turning the wheel also raise the front end up and check for free play in the hub bearing very common problem.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i took some "people" for some rides, they say its deff the brakes, i tried to order the hubs from pss but nobody would answer my calls or return them, so this weekend im going with new brakes, if that doesn't fix it, going to napa and getting new hub units.

-Chris

thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, full new brakes on the front end, grease and lube on everything... The brakes make no noise what so ever... Stops smoooooth...

But it still makes the damn squeal/squeak noise when turning slight to the left at 30+ mph.. Its driving me nuts.

I even pulled out the hub units and took a look at them, there in good shape.

anything else???

-Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts