Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too much to brag about, I don't think.

oil temp 160 and 76 degrees air temp:

___________________ IDLE BEFORE / AFTER ___________ 1200 RPM BEFORE / AFTER
In the cab __________________ 55.5dB / 54dB ______________ 64dB / 62dB

Under the hood _______________ 82dB / 80.5dB _____________ 87dB / 86dB

So, it looks like a 1-2 dB difference.

Before and after pics are below.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'd say 1-2 from just coating the valve covers is fairly impressive.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Is this in an attempt to disguise the idle knock? LOL J/K
Not too shabby on reducing the noise from the valve covers with that Lizard Skin.

Be sure to slobber up those injectors with oil before installing. I'm sure you don't want damaged O-rings.

·
learnin' the HARD WAY!
30 Posts
interesting... Thats not enough to take VC's off for, but why not if they are off? Hell, I'll take every 2db I can get. Ya may not notice the first couple, but add a few things together (dynamat all over cab, etc) and it could make a nice difference!

I have a friend who had a 'cold weather' blanket thing made for his 6bt. It was industrial-type insulation like turbo blankets are made from with peices for VC, block, oil pan, etc. He wouldn't say what it cost, but someone insinuated $1500 or more. Anyway, made very little db difference in cab on that early 24v. This stuff was like 3/4" thick!!

I always thought my PSD's were louder underneath than on top. The valvetrain is pretty noisy w/VC's off though.

Would Line-X or similar hold up in that environment? I always wondered if header wrap on up-pipes would deaden that drone just a little too...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone, put bedliner on theirs and had a significant noise reduction. It sounds like that might work better than the lizard skin. I only did this because the injectors were coming out to help figure out what the hell was going on with the knock.
I am not so convinced that 1-2 dB is worth it. From doing a little reading, it seems that a 1 dB difference is the threshold amount to notice any change at all. So, less than 1dB would mean you could not tell the difference. So, it sounds like I got a just noticeable difference, which is not too impressive to me.
I put plenty of oil on the o-rings and so far so good. I only have about 800 miles on since the o-rings, so I do not want to declare victory. But, so far, I am happy.

·
Rented Mule
95 Posts
Thats pretty cool.
It would be easier if we could just make our engines sound like our wives nagging voices and could just tune it out of our head like we do them. Then we could drive in complete silence.

·
learnin' the HARD WAY!
30 Posts
It would be easier if we could just make our engines sound like our wives nagging voices and could just tune it out of our head like we do them. Then we could drive in complete silence.
I'd like to put this quote in my sig. Brilliant!

Although I have to admit, the 38R and 6637 air filter make a beautiful song. ;)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'd think maybe a powder coating on the inside of the block and Rhino-Liner on the valve covers and oil pan?
The idea of the powder-coating being two-fold. Much noise reduction? Eh, probably not, however the smoother surface allows for a better return of the oil to the pan. Old racer trick apparently. Either powder coat or a special paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts