Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 F250 auto, 4x4 just changed frt axle fluid...inside of diff is ok, but took it to test drive and am having almost "clunking noises in frt end axles when turning only(in 4whl drive of course)....doesn't do it when going straight....u-joints seem tight, no slop or play....Thinking about taking it to a shop, but if i can save a couple hundred $$$ by doing it myself, might undertake it...not my dailey driver, so being down a week or two is no problem.....any clue on what would do this? Thanks for any help...rsbhunter

·
Registered
88 Posts
When mine started doing this, my front hubs weren't disengaging all the way.

At the time, I didn't have a vacuum test kit, so I pulled and reinstalled both hubs (Just a simple snap ring holding them in). I suspect it might be my hub o-rings causing a slight leak, but haven’t debugged it any further because I also noticed that both of my outer axle seals were blown out. :(

So, I’ve got two rebuilds in my near future. :doh:

If it's simple o-rings, those are pretty cheap; $3ish...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have stated that i have manual lock out hubs, i took it for another drive today, did the same thing...starting to suspect the u-joints, but never had this happen before...still searching for answers...it is only in a fairly tight turn, also in reverse if the wheels are turned....Thanks...rsbhunter

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Mine does it too if the hubs are locked. It will begin after turning or hitting a hard bump with the hubs locked. My hubs are pissing me off lately because they wont engage/disengage properly. They are manuals so I dont know. What could be the problem? Need serviced or replaced?

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
The manuals have issues disengaging as well, take the lockout off the truck and try to turn it where the axleshaft slides into it, and lock and unlock it a few times. It's usually pretty clear if they are sticking.

You don't want to be driving around with your hubs sticking, it not only kills your mileage, but also wears out your front end faster. My Dad's were sticking for close to 2 years before he said something about it, and the front U-joints and inner hub bearings were gone, not to mention it trashed the outer shafts where the roller bearings ride. :mad:

Dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys, i am having problems explaining what is happening....the clunking is happening with the hubs locked, when i unlock them, there is no noise, turning or otherwise...i understand how if they were sticking and i drove in 2 wd i might get the noise, but this is only with the hubs locked and in 4 wd....thanks for the help, any other suggestions would be a great help....rsbhunter

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
The manuals have issues disengaging as well, take the lockout off the truck and try to turn it where the axleshaft slides into it, and lock and unlock it a few times. It's usually pretty clear if they are sticking.

You don't want to be driving around with your hubs sticking, it not only kills your mileage, but also wears out your front end faster. My Dad's were sticking for close to 2 years before he said something about it, and the front U-joints and inner hub bearings were gone, not to mention it trashed the outer shafts where the roller bearings ride. :mad:

Dave
You got me thinking, I took my manuals apart last night and the driver side was stuck. I am glad you brought that up. With all the electronic gadgetry we have on these trucks its easy to forget to check the basic parts.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the replys, i am having problems explaining what is happening....the clunking is happening with the hubs locked, when i unlock them, there is no noise, turning or otherwise...i understand how if they were sticking and i drove in 2 wd i might get the noise, but this is only with the hubs locked and in 4 wd....thanks for the help, any other suggestions would be a great help....rsbhunter

theres no problem

thats how theyre designed, theres a reason that the manual says to not drive the truck in 4wd on dry pavement....youre going to tear up your transfer case doing what youre doing

only use 4wd on soft surfaces, snow, mud, etc....

every one of these trucks does that...i had my truck in 4wd pulling out a tree stump on dry pavement (it was along side the road), go to turn around and it jerks like that also....i took it to a muddy field in the back of my neighborhood, and thrashed it around and it did just fine...not one bit of binding up at all

put your truck back in 2wd while youre on dry roads..

this is stated in the owners manual! dont use on dry roads

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Point taken, this was on a dirt field, but probably enough to still cause it to bind...rsbhunter

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
not sure what they are , guessing a seal of some sort. I was told only needed for the guys that have the 4x4 knobs on the dash. I cut both of mine off a year ago and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is part of the outer axle seal. The seal keeps the lube in and the dirt out. They all wear out eventually and need to be replaced; they tend to wear out faster if you do a lot of off-roading. If you don't replace them, dirt will eventually work its way in and destroy your bearings and then your outer axle. If you don't know how long its been out, take off the hub and check the end of the axle shaft for play. If there's no major play, then a good cleaning, lube and new seal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts