Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 F350 auto hub 4x4 - After this winter of driving to work (30 + mi each way) a couple of times. I have been noticing a noise coming from front end when turning sharply (mostly to the left I think). About 2 winters ago I had done the maintenance as per guzzles hub & needle bearing maintenance back when the auto hubs would keep dropping out of 4x4 & the manual hubs were frozen so that I couldn’t turn them. After doing guzzles maint. Everything was aok (I thought) until this winter came. The night before one big snowstorm it rained like crazy before turning to massive amounts of snow by morning. So when I had to go to work, I used the 4x4 switch on the fly not thinking I would have a problem, but soon I noticed my back end fish tailing – I was not in 4x4 the hubs became disengaged. After a few choice words I was able to pull off the road & this time I was able to manually lock the hubs & I was off dwn the road again. I thought maybe something had frozen from the rain the night before (it was in the low teens). It was soon after that I started noticing the noise on tight turns (like a binding kind of noise every 3 sec or so during a tight turn). Since then I’ve been trying to put it in & out of 4x4 both by auto and manually locking the hubs. If it’s the hubs I think I’m done with trying to make the darn stock auto shift on the fly ones work & just replace them with manual ones! ANY SUGGESTIONS on which ones? And what’s the least painful to swap out…
Unless you guys think it maybe something else????
Thanx in advance - you guys ROCK you are always my go to guys when I’m in a jam….

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - that’s what I've been thinking lately. Although the switch on the fly is convenient, I’m just fed up with them not working... If that what is the problem – it must be right? Any suggestions on which replacement hubs to get - I saw Summit has the Super Winch ones (not too much $$) also without having to get any kind of conversion kit in addition to the hubs, like the mile marker one Summit also shows...
My album; past and present projects:http://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/70P5m7-mytmousef350

·
Registered
259 Posts
Have you ever done the axle joints in your truck, thats prolly where the binding is coming from even if there not loose they could be dry and bound up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re:(Hubs?) Noise coming from front end when turning sharply

I haven’t - I’ll check them while I'm changing the hubs... I'm convinced that these hubs are unreliable (never stay engaged) anyway… Are there zerk fittings on them to grease them?

·
Registered
259 Posts
If they are the factory joints there will be no zerks on em.
My auto hubs had the same problem, would only work when they wanted now they work great all the time :shrug: Not sure how they started working like new all on there own.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What’s the opinion on Superwinch Hubs? I'd really like to change them today, but the only ones I can seem to track down (today) are the Superwinch ones. There's one other place (The Truck Shop) that is closed today that I'm sure would have the Warn hubs... But then with my work schedule I prob wont be able to chg them until next W/E?
My album; past and present projects:http://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/70P5m7-mytmousef350

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re:(HUBS!) Noise coming from front end when turning sharply

Well sure enough I found the stock hubs were locked. I had picked up the SuperWinch hubs & in the process of installing them I looked @ the stockers & found they were locked. After I cleaned them up, I was able to free them on the bench. Good thing to, cause I ended up returning the Super winch ones after spending close to $200! I didn’t like the way they looked at all with my Lariat rims. Besides not looking like the pic on the box (all metal). They were sunken back into the hub a good 2” – 3" …. So for now I’ll keep the stockers until I find ones that will fill that whole area… I know of like only 3 companies that make hubs for our trucks – Warn – SuperWinch - & Mile Marker. I thought I saw a pic of someone that had the same rims & I think they had the Mile Marker hubs that came all the way out to meet the end of the center cap. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone else have any of these hubs & have the Lariat rims where the hub is not so far recessed?
On the way back to NAPA I confirmed the noise was gone - that was it ! Now I just need to get the right hubs...

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I called SuperWinch, Mile Marker, and Warn - they all say they are somewhat shorter than the Stock Hubs, that they won’t come all the way out to meet the end of the center cap on the Lariat rims. So that being said does anyone or has anyone come up with, maybe a removable center cap that will block mud and snow from filling up the open hub area? Maybe a center cap that can easily be removable to change the hubs from free to lock?

·
Lost Cause
896 Posts
My Warns are just to the back side of the center cap. That is with steel rims I use during the winter. The factory aluminum rims are thicker so there would be a greater gap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts