Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 F250 with the PS. I started to have some turbo issues, decided to do a full bulletproof job since it only has 68,000 miles and I want to keep it forever. Ordered a full kit from bulletproof diesel, a new turbo, an s&b intake, and an sct livewire ts+. Had the work done at a very reputable diesel shop (Scheid Diesel in Lafayette Indiana). They installed everything and called me to say the truck was very laggy. They spent a couple days with it, but couldn't figure it out. I have a very experienced PS tech near my house, so I took it to him. He has had it for a week and a half, and he can't figure anything out. He has all of the proper diagnostic tools and expertise. He did find the oil pressure was low, so he put on a new HPOP and nothing has changed. The truck idles fine, no codes, everything is reading within the proper parameters. I cannot hear the turbo at idle, and trying to accelerate this thing acts like it is pulling 20,000 lbs up a hill. Fuel mileage is in the toilet (I'm talking 9mpg highway). He has checked exhaust blockages, cleaned everything he can think of, fuel pressure is good, oil pressure is good, tuner is set back to stock, ecm got a factory re-flash, and nothing has changed. I'm desperate at this point, can anyone help?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,634 Posts
What are EBP, MAP, and Baro at KOEO?
Have you inspected the MAP sensor hose (for leaks or pluggage)?
Is the intake nipple for the MAP sensor plugged?
Is the EBP tube plugged?
Is the EBP sensor stopped up with Carbon?
Is the EBP sensor harness and connector in good shape?
Is the exhaust plugged up?

Quite frankly the best starting point is for you to download ForScan Lite to a smartphone and scan for codes.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Need some data as mark said. What exactly is the fuel pressure going down the road?

MAP, BARO, EBP, VGT, ICP actual (and voltage), ICP desired, AAP voltage, EOT, ECT, FICM voltage are all things I need to see at full throttle to better help you.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Do as above and check the cac system

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have all of the data, I know fuel pressure is 57. The ebp sensor and tube have been checked and cleaned. The exhaust has been pulled, inspected, and even ran while disconnected with no improvement. I'll see what I can do about getting the other numbers. I know they have been checked with the proper software and everything comes back fine but I do not know the numbers specifically.

·
POWER Junkie
344 Posts
Does the exhaust sound change when you unplug the VGT solenoid? I’m curious because you said “you can’t hear the turbo anymore”.

·
Registered
2006 F250, 6.0 powerstroke
21 Posts
What was the old turbo “issues” that caused you to replace it? Also, besides turbo, describe “full bullet proof kit”
Not bashing anyone, but any good 6oh mechanic with proper tools and knowledge can fix these things, but there is a particular method to the madness. Collect info requested and the people on here can get you on the right track.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Need some data as mark said. What exactly is the fuel pressure going down the road?

MAP, BARO, EBP, VGT, ICP actual (and voltage), ICP desired, AAP voltage, EOT, ECT, FICM voltage are all things I need to see at full throttle to better help you.
As soon as I get the truck back I will get you the numbers. Pretty sure I can see all of those on the sct.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What was the old turbo “issues” that caused you to replace it? Also, besides turbo, describe “full bullet proof kit”
Not bashing anyone, but any good 6oh mechanic with proper tools and knowledge can fix these things, but there is a particular method to the madness. Collect info requested and the people on here can get you on the right track.
Ok, originally it was making a sort of squeal on a cold start, just for a second. It was the carbon choked unison ring trying to move. Also, it was putting out white fuel smoke at idle. Initially I did not have any driveability issues because I drive it like an old man. Then one day I had to pass someone on a 2 lane road and when I put my foot in it there was a noticeable lack of power and lower boost (15 to 18 psi). The bulletproof kit is from bulletproof diesel, has a new egr cooler, new oil cooler, studs, gaskets, water pump, etc. Heads checked, blue spring upgrade, new up pipes, new turbo, S&B intake, egr probe, and sct livewire ts+. EGR valve was cleaned and inspected, found to be good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the exhaust sound change when you unplug the VGT solenoid? I’m curious because you said “you can’t hear the turbo anymore”.
So what I'm referring to is the normal sound of the turbo spooling on start up, the classic jet engine sound of the vgt. That does not happen. When I accelerate, there is basically no turbo noise until it catches a very narrow power band, at which point the truck accelerates like normal. If I am at WOT during that power band I can watch the boost bounce rapidly on the sct. Once it gets out of that power band the power drops off, the turbo noise goes away and it is a dog again.

·
Registered
2006 F250, 6.0 powerstroke
21 Posts
Ok, originally it was making a sort of squeal on a cold start, just for a second. It was the carbon choked unison ring trying to move. Also, it was putting out white fuel smoke at idle. Initially I did not have any driveability issues because I drive it like an old man. Then one day I had to pass someone on a 2 lane road and when I put my foot in it there was a noticeable lack of power and lower boost (15 to 18 psi). The bulletproof kit is from bulletproof diesel, has a new egr cooler, new oil cooler, studs, gaskets, water pump, etc. Heads checked, blue spring upgrade, new up pipes, new turbo, S&B intake, egr probe, and sct livewire ts+. EGR valve was cleaned and inspected, found to be good.
So with all the new parts and work that was completed, did the engine improve? White smoke, low boost...

·
POWER Junkie
344 Posts
So what I'm referring to is the normal sound of the turbo spooling on start up, the classic jet engine sound of the vgt. That does not happen. When I accelerate, there is basically no turbo noise until it catches a very narrow power band, at which point the truck accelerates like normal. If I am at WOT during that power band I can watch the boost bounce rapidly on the sct. Once it gets out of that power band the power drops off, the turbo noise goes away and it is a dog again.
What are your VGT readings? It’s sounding like your unison ring might be stuck.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,634 Posts
It would be great to get an update on this!

here also:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts