Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
crazyhorseperformance
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was trying to install and rewire tow mirrors on my 2000 7.3 to 05 Tow mirros. Needless to say.... I must have messed up and shorted something out. I herd a little pop from the dash or under the cluster etc... Now I have no running lights in the rear nor do I have signals or hazards. However. I have headlights and brake lights. Everything else works but what I mentioned.

All fuses test good. Bulbs good.

Whats next?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Look at fuses under the hood and under the dash. Unhook the wires on the mirrors and start over. Chack fuses with a meter, not your eyes.

·
Registered
717 Posts
:whs:
if you herd a pop that was the fuse that blew, just look in your owners manual and it will tell you exactly which fuse is for your lights

·
crazyhorseperformance
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I know I looked with a working and grounded test light and every fuse under the dash is working and lights up. I also popped the hood and looked at all the fuses both big and small. Seen one 7.5 blown and replaced it. Still nothing. I did disco everything I had wired up and still nothing.

I dont have a owners manual nor does my fuse cover tell me whats what. Just says fuse sizes. Not sure if there is a relay of some sorts for the rear tails? Is it controlled by the MFS? Weird cuz I have brake lights but no running lights, signals or hazards.

I trippled checked all fuses and bulbs!

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Two possibilities. Either you blew the fuse for the tail lights in the secondary fuse block under the hood or you just blew the GEM out. Hope for the first one.

·
crazyhorseperformance
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wel all fuses under hood good. Could the Multi function switch or Light switch be bad and cause this? I know I had power going in and still do but no power comming out anymore? Reason being.. is I tapped in on the lead that was hot when I turned on the lights. This was hot both when parking and heads were on. My intention was to use this wire for the lights on the new mirrors. Now on that same wire its dead.

The long wire I had attached to the wire coming out touched the rocker and then I herd the pop.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You could have fried the multi function switch or headlight switch for that matter but most likely you killed a fuse.

·
crazyhorseperformance
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the blinkers or signals working. Never again will I use the blue crimp things for splicing in wires. It cut the signal wire. So I sodered that wire. Thought the same thing was true for the rear tail light wire but it was in good shape. Yes I removed that splice thing and hit the crimped aera with some solder and heat shrinked some wrap back on.

Now.... I jumped the White with Red stripe (tail lights) comming from the MFS and once I got juice to it... my tails lit. So I must have fried the MFS right? I have power going in (one wire) but every other wire on that one plug is dead. I noticed my dash lights are dead as well. That too is controlled by the MFS correct? Again.. I went through all the Fuses and they are good. #1 fuse is for the lamps. I checked it again with a 2 prong tester and also a regular test light. Yes.. I also pulled it out and Eyeballed it for a visual and just replaced it anyways..

I dont know how to read a meter so testing the MFS wont happen. Guess I will just see if I can buy a switch and go that route for now.

I update what I find. Thanks for everyones help:)

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
headlight switch would be your first move with a tail light issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts