Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. My 97 has new injectors. Gp systems test good and this thing needs to be plugged in when 50 degrees or she won't start. Once started it will start all day regardless of temp. But once it sets overnight it won't start unless plugged in. Any ideas of what causes this?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
How did you check the GP relay? Puking white smoke while trying to start? Other things to check are the batteries, all cable connections to them and the starter and ground. The starters also degrade over time, turning over just a litle slower so that it could have trouble starting. Cheers!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Gp relay tested good. New batteries and starter within the year. Oil is full. The truck is hard to start. Sometimes it won't and just crank and fire on a few cylinders and it'll put fuel on the groud?

·
PSN local
161 Posts
When you don't plug it in what does it do? Does it crank slow or fast? Does puff out any smoke? Does your wts light come on? Does it try to start? And if does start does it run rough?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I tested ohms from the relay to the valve cover plugs. Glow plug relay was tested with a dm. Cranks fast wether plugged in or not. Puffed white smoke while cranking. Tried to fire on a few cylinders while cranking. Runs fine once it does start.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
What is the voltage drop across the relay (big terminals) while the relay is active? Cheers!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
11.56 volts I believe. Will have to retest when I have time to be sure.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Missed another question. What is the voltage DROP? That is, WHILE the relay is energized, what is the difference between the voltages at the two big terminals.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
11.56 volts I believe. Will have to retest when I have time to be sure.
Yes, you are are reading the voltage to ground, Madpoge says read the voltage between the two big terminals on the GPR. This says what the condition of the contacts of the GPR is and maybe the condition of the glow plugs are. The reading should be near zero volts not near 12 volts. If the voltage is near zero, then they will have you checking the condition of the glow plugs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks guys will check. It did start at 3:30 this morning to take the old lady to work. Plugged in of course but 5 degrees none the less

1 - 11 of 11 Posts