Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a problem with getting my truck to start some times would start and run like crap then just wouldnt start found a hole in the feed line of a high pressure fuel line. replaced it $70 at ford. tried to start still no start fuel blow fills fast with fuel filter off. but just wont start and no smoke. what is going on and what do i do to correct it. sick of driving a car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my truck is s 1996 f250 320,000 i changed the cps and still shows no rpms while crankin, have the truck pluged in. started a few weeks ago but ran like *** and if i held the pedel down run alright just didnt want to stay on it or move it because of it being 15 eegrees out. when i let off the pedel ran like *** never went over 1,200 rpms but still was running so shut the door and checked under the hood to make sure everyhing wass good and it stalled. battery were to dead from cold and cranking before so i charged them and tried to restart with no luck. hasnt started sense. has brand new batteries new battery cables, diesel 911 in the tank and fuel bowl, batteries at 12.1 volts when load tested.cranks over strong and fast. but no smoke all fuse good

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and should my tach be moving because ive heard some people say there tach moves when being cranked over but some say that theirs doesnt move either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright,i went to start the truck again today, wait to start light came on heard a click and light turned off. cranked it oil pressure on dash went to normal, tach still didnt move, still no smoke but cranks the best it ever has (new batteries and cables), i dont think its getting fuel, my though is that the injectors have a major air lock because i just replaced the high pressure fuel line(was cut almost totally cut in half, it had a small leak when i got it but just got worse)

so my question now is how do i bleed the fuel line. pull he valve covers off and crack the line going to the injectors right.

sorry if it sounds stupid. im 17 first diesel and il never own anything but a powerstroke. gas just dont amount to anything.

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
Did you originally replace fuel lines, or high pressure oil lines?? I'm confused.
The stock fuel pump is mechanical, not high pressure. You should see 40-50psi. with a gauge. Check fuel filter and FPR screen.

Have someone turn over the engine to build pressure, purge air out of HPOP system by breaking loose the lines at top of cylinder heads. You may have to do more than once.
Check HPOP resevoir, oil should be near the top.
Check HPOP system pressure- 500-800psi to start, 1500-3000 psi. idle to wot

Make sure the CPS is seated all the way in, check harness & connection. You should see the tach move when trying to start.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no its not a high pressure oil line its a high pressure fuel line. ill tell u were there located and u can even check them out. form your tank it goes from
1. slector valve
2.rubber hose u till u get to about the frint of the cab
3.steel, bent line
4.then the HIGH PRESSURE FUEL LINE (theres a feed line and a return one) its a braided woven line with blue rubber for the feed and like off white for the return, around that.
5.steel lines again
6.then to the pump i think

ther quick connet types. you can see it if u lay on the ground looking up, just like if u were changing the cps but in the other side.

it says high pressure fuel line with 7.9mm di on it. only about 1 ft to 8 inches long

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You are referring to the spring lock lines correct? They are the feed and return lines for the motor but they actually arent under pressure until the fuel is pressurized by the secondary side of the fuel pump. The entire system is self bleeding but it is not necessarily the most effecient self bleeding system. Check the HPOP oil level and make sure it is full first and foremost.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have checked it and it is about a inch or less from the top and the guage on the bash go to normal while cranking and fall back to 0 after i let off.

im thinking when i bough the cps from autozone there just junk. would that be cause the no smoke while cranking. i knw it wont start but no fuel too.
it the only thing i can think of really. i just need it to run

·
Registered
317 Posts
no smoke while cranking could be because your injectors arent
firing...have you checked all the fuses? you really need to see if
you have 500psi from the hpop as already mentioned, know anybody
with an idm you could borrow to swap in?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
After re-reading your previous posts I noticed you said the tach still isn't moving. This means you are not getting a reading from the CPS. Either you don't have the new one installed all the way or it is faulty or the connector is not plugged in all the way or the plug/wiring to the CPS is faulty. Recheck everything with the CPS first and then report back. I would guess that the CPS isn't inserted all the way into the hole. The best way to do them is to lubricate the hole and the o-ring well with oil and make sure there is nothing in the hole to jam the sensor when installing. Then turn the sensor back and forth a bit once it is in all the way to ensure it is seated fully then bolt it down and plug it in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright well i took it out oiled the o-ring and the hole put back in made sure the connections were clean and tight reinstalled and tired to start it. still no tach movement. got the cps from autozone so there supose to have a lifetime warrenty. im just gonna go and exchange it and put the new one in to see if its justa faulty cps. i hope so!!!

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
Use a volt meter to check signal from CPS. You are going to have to probe the harness, or check at PCM pin-out. If no voltage signal, may have a problem with cam gear.

Have you checked all VC gasket connections?? Are you going to post some fuel pressure/high pressure oil #'s??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts