Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At lunch I tried to start my truck, heard the chime, battery guage showed proper voltage, etc. When i turned the key to the start position, only heard a click, like a back starter. I try to start maybe 3 more times, then nothing works, no headlights, power door locks, no power what-so-ever. I checked fuses, batteries, and starter connection, all were good. Just wanted to know if there was a common problem with a certain connection going to the cab or something like that? Any help would be great.

1996 7.3 f250 4x4 ext. cab

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It could be a bad starter (that's what mine did). Make sure that the batteries are checked independently from one another (cables disconnected from both). Check all the battery cable connections. Cheers!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Unlikely it's the starter. Even if the starter is really badly hosed, once you let go of the key and it goes back to RUN, the oil and brake lights, etc. should go back on. What you're experiencing is a classic example of a bad main battery / ground connection. You turn the key to run, a weak connection can provide power to the dash, PCM, etc., everything looks normal. You trip START, and that weak connection is swamped by the high draw of the starter. That somehow kills the weak connection to the low-draw stuff (dash, etc.) when you let go of the key. You turn the key back OFF, and with no load, the weak connection "recovers", and you can turn it back to RUN and get the dash lights again.

Long story short - check the terminal connections at both batteries, the condition of the battery cables (including the positive cross cable between the batteries), the connection at the starter, etc. And as said, load test BOTH batteries, when separated from each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts